- Title: Iraqi forces enter Mosul from north for first time
- Date: 6th January 2017
- Summary: HADBA, NORTHERN MOSUL, IRAQ (JANUARY 6, 2017) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW OF HADBA NEIGHBOURHOOD VARIOUS OF HEAVY SMOKE RISING ABOVE CITY TARGETED BY COALITION AIR STRIKE / EXPLOSION WITH FIRE (AUDIO OF EXPLOSION) DEBRIS LYING ON STREET IRAQI ARMY'S HUMVEE DRIVING / SOLDIERS (16TH DIVISION) WALKING DOWN STREET MISSILE LAUNCHER MOUNTED ON THE HUMVEE SOLDIERS PREPARING MISSILES SOLDIER ON TOP OF HUMVEE SHOWING VICTORY SIGN VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS RIDING IN THE BACK OF TRUCK SOLDIERS ON STREET INSPECTING MILITARY EQUIPMENT VARIOUS OF SOLDIERS POINTING AT AND POSING WITH ISLAMIC STATE FLAG PAINTED ON A WALL GRAFFITI ON THE WALL READING (Arabic): "ISLAMIC STATE CALIPHATE" SOLDIERS INSPECTING MILITARY EQUIPMENT VARIOUS OF BUILDINGS DESTROYED DURING CLASHES VARIOUS OF DAMAGED STORES VARIOUS OF GAS CANISTERS USED BY ISLAMIC STATE TO MAKE EXPLOSIVES ROOFTOPS OF CITY SAND BERM IN A STREET VARIOUS OF ISLAMIC STATE FLAG IN NEARBY SUKKAR NEIGHBOURHOOD (STILL CONTROLLED BY THE MILITANTS)
- Embargoed: 21st January 2017 15:54
- Keywords: Mosul Iraq north Hadba Iraqi forces
- Location: HADBA, NORTHERN MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: HADBA, NORTHERN MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0015XY1CNB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iraqi troops entered Mosul from the north for the first time on Friday (January 6), part of a new phase in the battle for the city.
Elite forces also bridged a river under cover of darkness in an unprecedented night raid.
The troops entered the residential al-Hadba apartments complex, officers at a nearby command post told Reuters.
It was not immediately clear how much of the area they controlled amid resistance from Islamic State.
The operations are part of a major new push launched last week to seize ground in the city.
The offensive was launched in mid-October, but progress had stalled for weeks because of a need to slow the advance to protect civilians.
Iraqi forces have so far recaptured more than half of eastern Mosul, but they have yet to cross the Tigris to face insurgents who are still firmly in control of the western half of the city.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None