- Title: Family, colleagues bid farewell to courthouse employee killed in Izmir attack
- Date: 6th January 2017
- Summary: IZMIR, TURKEY (JANUARY 6, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** FUNERAL OF COURTHOUSE EMPLOYEE MUSA CAN / FAMILY MEMBERS ARRIVING, WOMAN CRYING WOMEN CRYING VARIOUS OF CAN'S DAUGHTERS MOURNING OVER THE COFFIN COURTHOUSE EMPLOYEES LOOKING AT CEREMONY FROM BALCONY / PEOPLE IN HALL TURKISH MINISTER OF JUSTICE, BEKIR BOZDAG, ADDRESSING THE CROWD (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) TURKISH MINISTER OF JUSTICE, BEKIR BOZDAG, SAYING: "Turkey's fight against terrorism will continue effectively until terror is over and terrorists are wiped out." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GATHERED AROUND COFFIN, BOZDAG LEAVING WOMEN WEEPING NEXT TO COFFIN VARIOUS OF COFFIN BEING TAKEN AWAY AS CROWD APPLAUDS EXTERIOR OF COURTHOUSE POLICE TAPE OUTSIDE BUILDING VARIOUS OF EXTERIORS OF POLICE CABIN DAMAGED IN CAR BOMB DEBRIS FROM CABIN LYING ON GROUND VARIOUS OF DAMAGED INTERIORS OF CABIN OUTSIDE NEARBY COFFEE SHOP / SHATTERED GLASS ON THE GROUND TURKISH FLAG FLYING AT COFFEE SHOP SHATTERED GLASS VARIOUS OF COFFEE SHOP OWNER, ZAFER ALPTEKIN, WALKING OUTSIDE COFFEE SHOP BROKEN WINDOW (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) OWNER OF THE COFFEE SHOP, ZAFER ALPTEKIN, SAYING: "I was at the courthouse and about to exit when the bomb went off. I heard gunfire after the blast. I took cover behind a column. After the gunfire stopped I came back to my shop." VARIOUS OF POLICE FORCES OUTSIDE CAFE SPECIAL POLICE FORCES WALKING PROTESTERS ARRIVING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CARRYING PLACARDS READING (Turkish): "DAMN TERRORISM", "WE ARE NOT AFRAID, "WE ARE NOT COWERING" WOMAN CRYING WOMAN HOLDING PLACARD READING (Turkish): "WE ARE NOT AFRAID, "WE ARE NOT COWERING" COFFEE SHOP, POLICE CABIN / EXTERIOR OF COURTHOUSE
- Embargoed: 21st January 2017 10:48
- Keywords: Turkey Izmir courthouse car bomb funeral damage Kurd
- Location: IZMIR, TURKEY
- City: IZMIR, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0015XXZ4UF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag attended on Friday (January 6) the funeral of Musa Can, a courthouse employee who was killed in a car and bomb attack the day before. A police officer was also killed in the attack outside Izmir's main courthouse.
A large crowd attended the funeral. Can's sister and daughters cried over the coffin, wrapped in a Turkish flag.
Bozdag vowed to fight terrorism "until terror is finished and terrorists are wiped out."
Bozdag also said 18 people had been detained in connection with the attack and Ankara has no doubt Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militants were responsible.
Outside the courthouse, police lines blocked access to the building and police forces patrolled the street.
Debris and shattered glass could be seen around a police cabin and a nearby coffee shop.
Tens of people staged a demonstration to condemn the attack, carrying banners reading slogans such as 'Damn Terrorism'.
The car bombing and gunfire outside the main courthouse in Izmir, located on Turkey's western Aegean coast, highlighted the country's deteriorating security after a gunman killed 39 people in a New Year's Day mass shooting at an Istanbul nightclub.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None