- Title: Iraqi army cadets mark army Day with parade
- Date: 6th January 2017
- Summary: HONOUR GUARD MARCHING AND PRESENTING SALUTE HONOUR GUARDS STANDING, PRESENTING SALUTE
- Embargoed: 21st January 2017 13:43
- Keywords: Iraq army parade Army Day army cadet
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0025XY0O5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A total of 400 Iraqi cadets of the Military College graduated on Friday (January 6) and marched on the parade ground of their college to mark the national Army Day.
The day marked the 96th anniversary of the creation of the Iraqi Army in 1921.
This year's celebrations come at a time the army is fighting fierce battles to dislodge Islamic State militants from the city of Mosul.
The Mosul assault, involving a 100,000-strong ground force of Iraqi government troops, members of the autonomous Kurdish security forces and mainly Shi'ite militiamen, is the most complex battle in Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.
Prime Minister Abadi praised the Iraqi army on the anniversary of its establishment, and vowed Iraq's forces would soon defeat Islamic State in Mosul.
Iraqi forces pushed further into Mosul in a night raid against Islamic State early on Friday, the military said, and army units moved towards the city's northern districts, seeking to keep up momentum in the U.S.-backed campaign.
Iraqi forces have recaptured around 70 percent of eastern Mosul in the nearly 12-week campaign to take back the city, Iraq's joint operations commander said on Thursday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None