- Title: European stocks climb after bruising week
- Date: 23rd August 2021
- Summary: FRANKFURT, GERMANY (AUGUST 23, 2021) (REUTERS) DAX BOARD VARIOUS OF TRADER TRADER DAX GRAPH TRADING FLOOR BOARD SHOWING DAX START AT 15,930.72 POINTS VARIOUS OF TRADERS BOARD SHOWING DAX INCREASE OF 94.89 POINTS OR 0.6% TRADERS SOFTWARE SHARES ON BOARD TRADER DAX BOARD TRADING FLOOR
- Embargoed: 6th September 2021 09:36
- Keywords: DAX Frankfurt trading floor exchange markets shares stocks
- Location: FRANKFURT, GERMANY
- City: FRANKFURT, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Europe,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERI1Q4T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: European stocks followed Asian markets higher on Monday (August 23) after a bruising selloff last week on global growth worries, while investors awaited a raft of business activity data.
The pan-European STOXX 600 index rose 0.6% by 0714 GMT after worries over a surge in COVID-19 cases and tighter scrutiny on Chinese companies drove its worst weekly performance in six months.
IHS Markit's early August readings of business activity in the euro zone and UK will be released later in the day, with the numbers expected to mark a slight slowdown in activity.
Among individual stocks, British supermarket group Sainsbury's jumped 6.6% following a report private equity firms were circling the firm with a view of possibly launching bids of more than 7 billion pounds ($9.53 billion).
Germany's BioNTech rose 4.4% after a report said the U.S. Food and Drug Administration was aiming to give full approval to its partner Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine.
At 11:10 a.m. (0910 GMT), Germany's DAX was at 15,837 points, an increase of 29 points or 0.19%.
(Production: Tilman Blasshofer, Michele Sani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None