- Title: Kenyan Maasai queue up to get COVID jab
- Date: 23rd August 2021
- Summary: KAJIADO, KENYA (AUGUST 23, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MAASAIS IN A QUEUE AT A HEALTH FACILITY WAITING TO RECEIVE COVID-19 VACCINE A HEALTH OFFICER TAKING DETAILS A WOMAN BEING INOCULATED A BOX FULL OF COVID-19 VACCINATION DOSES VARIOUS OF A MAN GIVING HIS DETAILS/BEING VACCINATED A SIGN BOARD ON THE VACCINATION ROOM'S DOOR READING (English): "SUB-COUNTY VACCINES STORE" VARIOUS OF PERSON BEING VACCINATED, LEMURUA MOILE RECEIVING JABS OF THE VACCINE (SOUNDBITE) (Swahili) PERSON BEING VACCINATED, LEMURUA MOILE, SAYING: "I will go and tell people, especially my age-mates some of whom are here, this disease adversely affects us old people. I will tell them to come here to Bissel Health Centre to get vaccinated." VARIOUS OF BISSEL HEALTH CENTRE SIGN-POST VARIOUS OF PERSON BEING VACCINATED, NANDOIYE OLE YIELE REGISTERING AND RECEIVING THE VACCINE (SOUNDBITE) (Maasai) NANDOIYE OLE YIELE, SAYING: "I have been hearing on the radio that there is a vaccination drive going on and I decided to also come and get vaccinated." HEALTH WORKER FILLING SYRINGE WITH VACCINE AN ARM BEING JABBED
- Embargoed: 6th September 2021 22:02
- Keywords: COVID-19 East African nation Kenya Maasai coronavirus infections vaccination exercise
- Location: KAJIADO, KENYA
- City: KAJIADO, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Topics: Africa,Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERI4DON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of people from the iconic Maasai community in Kenya queued up to get vaccinated against COVID-19 on Monday (August 23).
Vaccine uptake among the Kenyan population is still relatively low, with numbers from the health ministry indicating only 2.9% of the entire adult population has been vaccinated.
The East African nation is confronting a severe fourth wave of COVID-19 infections, putting pressure on health facilities with a positivity rate of 13.3%.
On Monday, Kenya received more than 880,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine manufactured by Moderna, as part of a shipment donated by the United States through the COVAX system.
Kenya intends to vaccinate 10 million Kenyans by the end of December 2021.
(Production: Thomas Mukoya, Jackson Njehia)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None