- Title: Climate activists block streets in central London
- Date: 23rd August 2021
- Summary: PLACARD READING (English): "We can't recycle wasted time" VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS RALLYING IN CENTRAL LONDON
- Embargoed: 6th September 2021 18:23
- Keywords: Extinction rebellion arrests climate change police protest
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: UK
- Topics: Climate Change,Environment,Europe,General News,Government / Politics,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003ERI3RK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Climate activists blocked traffic near Leicester Square on Monday (August 23) by chaining themselves to a car and a giant pink table erected in the middle of the street.
Police officers from London's Metropolitan Police cut the activists' chains and made arrests.
The activists from the Extinction Rebellion group (XR) want an emergency response from governments and a mass move away from polluting industries to avert the worst scenarios of devastation outlined by scientists.
The group, which had earlier rallied at London's Trafalgar Square, targeted the medieval Guildhall over the weekend, the home of the City of London Corporation, which governs the city's historic financial centre.
London's police warned on Friday (August 20) that protests by environmental activists planned for the next two weeks will cause disruption across the capital and will distract officers from dealing with crime.
(Production: Ben Makori)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None