- Title: Climate activists block streets in central London
- Date: 23rd August 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (AUGUST 23, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICER LOWERING EXTINCTION REBELLION (XR) ACTIVIST FROM VAN ROOF VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS BEING PLACED IN HANDCUFFS AND CARRIED TO POLICE VAN VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICERS LOWERING ANOTHER ACTIVIST FROM VAN ROOF AND CARRYING HIM AWAY VARIOUS OF ACTIVIST CHAINED TO UNDERSIDE OF VAN POLICE OFFICERS WALKING UP STREET VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS CHAINED TO WOODEN STRUCTURE (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED EXTINCTION REBELLION ACTIVIST, SAYING: "I am doing this because I care about the climate emergency. I care about all living things on this Earth and I am doing something about it. I feel that everyone needs to stand up for living things. Everyone needs to find their courage and to do things like this." VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS CHAINED TO EACH OTHER IN MIDDLE OF STREET VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS CHAINED TO BABY BUGGY VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS CHAINED TO EACH OTHER AND OBJECTS IN MIDDLE OF STREET TOPLESS ACTIVIST HOLDING PLACARD VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS RALLYING IN CENTRAL LONDON VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS DRUMMING AND PLAYING COWBELLS ACTIVISTS RALLYING IN CENTRAL LONDON BANNER READING (English): "There is no Planet B"
- Embargoed: 6th September 2021 18:23
- Keywords: Extinction rebellion arrests climate change police protest
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: UK
- Topics: Climate Change,Environment,Europe,General News,Government / Politics,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERI3RK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Climate activists blocked traffic near Leicester Square on Monday (August 23) by chaining themselves to a car and a giant pink table erected in the middle of the street.
Police officers from London's Metropolitan Police cut the activists' chains and made arrests.
The activists from the Extinction Rebellion group (XR) want an emergency response from governments and a mass move away from polluting industries to avert the worst scenarios of devastation outlined by scientists.
The group, which had earlier rallied at London's Trafalgar Square, targeted the medieval Guildhall over the weekend, the home of the City of London Corporation, which governs the city's historic financial centre.
London's police warned on Friday (August 20) that protests by environmental activists planned for the next two weeks will cause disruption across the capital and will distract officers from dealing with crime.
(Production: Ben Makori)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None