- Title: 'Dragon' on road - Russian mechanic turns Soviet car into fire-spitting machine
- Date: 23rd August 2021
- Summary: KRASNODAR REGION, RUSSIA (AUGUST 15, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CARS COMPETING IN CAR BATTLE VARIOUS OF SPECTATORS 'DRAGON' CAR THROWING FLAMES, ANOTHER CAR JUMPING ON TRAMPOLINE
- Embargoed: 6th September 2021 10:54
- Keywords: Russia car flames hand-made
- Location: KRASNODAR REGION AND KRASNODAR, RUSSIA
- City: KRASNODAR REGION AND KRASNODAR, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Europe,Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA006ERI3AYH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian roads may be tricky, but nothing can stop you if you are riding a dragon. A car mechanic from Russia's southern city of Krasnodar took to the fire element and installed flame throwers in a classic Lada.
Mechanic and constructor Vagan Mikaelyan has been in the business of car repairs for four years, creating various unusual vehicles.
He has developed a Lada with giant spider legs, a chariot Lada Priora on giant wheels, a chisel car and also a bird-mobile which he tried to fly.
"But there was nothing with flames. And here it comes," Mikaelyan told Reuters in a garage while demonstrating his new creation, decorated with flashy artwork of a dragon.
It took him three days of work and 22,500 roubles (300 dollars) for the car itself and the extra parts.
The fire bursts out of two front lights after a driver pulls down a fuel-injecting lever placed next to the driverâ€™s seat.
"You can grill some meat on a picnic," Mikaelyan said and laughed.
However, his creation found a more suitable use in the end - burning down a losing vehicle at a Krasnodar car battle, a spectacular demolition derby contest organized irregularly outside Krasnodar by Mikaelyan and members of the street racing community.
(Production: Anton Derbenev, Elena Ostrovskaya)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None