- Title: Firefighers launch backfire operations to battle California wildfire
- Date: 23rd August 2021
- Summary: GRIZZLY FLATS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 22, 2021) (REUTERS) FIREFIGHTERS SETTING 'BACKFIRES' TO STOP THE SPREAD OF THE CALDOR FIRE WIDE OF BACKFIRE BURNING IN FRONT OF WOODED AREA WIDE OF FIREFIGHTERS AND WOODED AREA SILHOUETTED BY BACKFIRE WIDE OF BACKFIRE FIREFIGHTERS STANDING NEAR BURNING BACKFIRE FIREFIGHTER POURING FIRE OUT OF CANISTER TO LIGHT BACKFIRE
- Embargoed: 6th September 2021 15:32
- Keywords: Cailfornia wildfire Caldor Fire backfire weather. back fires wildfire
- Location: GRIZZLY FLATS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: GRIZZLY FLATS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: US
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Fires,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERI35FR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: California firefighters are lighting backfires to deprive the Caldor Fire of fuel as it eats up acreage for a ninth consecutive day.
Firefighters in Grizzly Flats, around 65 miles (105 km) east of Sacramento could be seen setting the foliage and ground alight late Sunday (August 22) in order to create a perimeter for the advancing wildfire.
California's drought-desiccated timber, brush, and grasslands have created a potent fuel bed for several wildfires raging across the state.
The Caldor Fire burned through 30,000 acres over the weekend alone, the New York Times has reported. The fire has destroyed a total of 104,000 acres and is only 5% contained, according to Cal Fire (the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection).
(Production: Fred Greaves; Ashraf Fahim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None