- Title: PayPal launches crypto buying and selling in the UK
- Date: 23rd August 2021
- Summary: SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PAYPAL HEADQUARTERS
- Embargoed: 6th September 2021 10:41
- Keywords: PayPal United Kingdom bitcoin cryptocurrency digital coin holdings
- Location: SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: Various
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA007ERI3JPP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PayPal Holdings Inc. will allow customers in the UK to buy, sell and hold bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies starting this week, the company said on Monday (August 23).
The roll-out, which marks the first international expansion of PayPal's cryptocurrencies services outside of the United States, could inspire further mainstream adoption of the new asset class.
With over 403 million active accounts globally, the San Jose, California-based company is one of the largest mainstream financial companies to offer consumers access to cryptocurrencies.
PayPal launched cryptocurrency buying and selling in the United States earlier this year, later enabling customers to use their digital coin holdings to shop at the millions of merchants on its network.
The company hoped its foray into the new asset class would encourage global use of virtual coins and prepare its network for new digital currencies that may be developed by corporations and central banks.
In the UK, PayPal's service will rival that of established cryptocurrency exchanges such as Coinbase Global Inc., as well as fintech startups such as Revolut.
Customers will be able to buy bitcoin, ether, litecoin, and bitcoin cash through their PayPal wallets online or on the mobile app.
The move comes as more established financial companies have started offering their clients, both consumers, and institutions, access to digital assets, amid rising cryptocurrency prices.
(Production: Natasa Bansagi, Eleanor Whalley)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None