- Title: France's Macron attends virtual G7 meeting on Afghanistan
- Date: 24th August 2021
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (AUGUST 24, 2021) (AGENCY POOL) FRENCH PRESIDENTIAL PALACE COURT YARD VARIOUS OF FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON PARTICIPATING IN VIRTUAL G7 MEETING ON AFGHANISTAN
- Embargoed: 7th September 2021 15:12
- Keywords: Afghanistan G7 summit Macron
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERN4MYV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron took part in a virtual meeting with the Group of Seven (G7) countries - Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United States -on Tuesday (August 24) to discuss the Afghanistan crisis.
The meeting took place as Western troops at Kabul airport worked frantically to evacuate people from the country before an Aug. 31 deadlineand as U.S. President Joe Biden faced growing pressure to negotiate more time for the airlift of thousands trying to flee.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to push for a deadline extension.
Chaos punctuated by sporadic violence has gripped the airport, with foreign troops and Afghan security guards driving back crowds clamoring to get on flights following the Taliban's takeover of the Afghan capital on Aug. 15.
Countries that have evacuated some 58,700 people over the past 10 days were trying to meet the deadline agreed earlier with the Taliban for the withdrawal of foreign forces, a NATO diplomat told Reuters.
The G7 leaders could discuss taking a united stand on the question of whether to recognize a Taliban government, or alternatively renew sanctions to pressure the Islamist militant movement to comply with pledges to respect women's rights and international relations.
(Production: Noemie Olive, Lucien Libert)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None