- Title: Afghan evacuees arrive in U.S. ahead of Aug. 31 deadline
- Date: 24th August 2021
- Summary: CHANTILLY, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 24, 2021) (REUTERS) BUS ARRIVING WITH EVACUEES SOLDIER STANDING NEAR BUS WOMAN CARRYING CHILD AS SHE GETS OFF THE BUS YOUNG MEN GETTING OFF BUS WOMAN CARRYING SLEEPING CHILD AS SHE GETS OFF THE BUS AND WALKS TOWARDS FACILITY OLDER WOMAN BEING HELPED OFF OF BUS EVACUEES WALKING IN LINE TOWARDS FACILITY CHILDREN WALKING IN LINE SOLDIERS STANDING BY AS AFGHANS GET OFF OF BUS MEN WALKING TOWARDS FACILITY WOMAN CARRYING BABY IN BASKET AFGHANS SPEAKING WITH SOLDIER KIDS WASHING HANDS IN OUTDOOR SINK AS WOMAN HANGS SHAWL ON CHAIR SOLDIERS PASSING BY AND AFGHAN FAMILY SEATED BEHIND THEM CLOSE ON GIRL CLUTCHING POLE OF OUTDOOR SHELTER EXTERIOR OF DULLES EXPO CENTER WITH SIGN ON IT READING: 'DULLES EXPO SOUTH HALL' AIRPLANE FLYING OVERHEAD AFGHAN FAMILY SEATED ON GRASSY AREA IN PARKING LOT OF EXPO CENTER WIDE OF BUS ARRIVING AT EXPO CENTER SOLDIERS OFFLOADING BAGS FROM BUS AS ELDERLY COUPLE GET OFF OF BUS SOLDIERS HELPING ELDERLY WOMAN INTO WHEELCHAIR AMONG AFGHANS WAITING IN LINE FAMILY EXITING BUS AFGHANS GETTING OFF OF SMALLER BUS WITH THEIR SUITCASES AFGHANS STANDING NEAR SMALLER BUS AFGHANS WALKING TOWARDS EXPO CENTER SECURITY AND OTHER OFFICIALS AT ENTRANCE TO EXPO CENTER SECURITY GUARD SPEAKING TO DRIVER IN CAR BUS PULLING UP TO EXPO CENTER TO TRANSPORT AFGHAN EVACUEES AFGHAN MAN IN WHEELCHAIR BEING LED OUT OF EXPO CENTER WIDE OF SOLDIERS AROUND MAN IN WHEELCHAIR IN FRONT OF BUS SOLDIERS HELPING MAN IN WHEELCHAIR ONTO BUS MOTHER AND FATHER CARRYING SMALL CHILDREN AND THEN STANDING IN LINE TO BOARD BUS EXTERIOR OF FRONT OF BUS WITH EVACUEES SEEN THROUGH WINDSHIELD BOARDING AND SEATED ON BUS BUS WITH EVACUEES DEPARTING EXPO CENTER YOUNG AFGHANS SPEAKING TO SOLDIER AS THEY BOARD BUS YOUNG MAN SEATED ON BUS NEXT TO WOMAN WHO IS HOLDING A BABY
- Embargoed: 7th September 2021 19:18
- Keywords: Afghanistan Biden administration Taliban U.S. military U.S. withdrawal evacuees
- Location: CHANTILLY, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES
- City: CHANTILLY, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: US
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,United States,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERN4YTJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Afghan nationals continued to stream into a Virginia facility on Tuesday (August 24) as the U.S. escalates its effort to evacuate its allies from Afghanistan just over a week after the Taliban took the capital, Kabul.
Buses with Afghan evacuees arrived at the Dulles Expo Center, where they are being processed before they are sent on to be housed at military bases around the country.
Some of the evacuees could be seen boarding buses to go on to the next stage of their journey.
A senior U.S. official on Tuesday said they did not know how many Afghans have been evacuated to the United States, adding that the situation remains "fluid" because of the swiftness of the operation.
President Joe Biden's administration has scrambled to evacuate U.S. citizens and Afghan allies amid the chaos at Kabul airport ahead of an Aug. 31 deadline U.S. forces to pull out of Afghanistan.
In the rush, the Biden administration has not said exactly how many Afghans have been allowed to enter the United States, a figure that could show the country's commitment to resettling vulnerable Afghans but also potentially fuel concerns that Afghans could be entering the country without adequate security vetting.
Flights have arrived in the United States in recent days carrying U.S. citizens and Afghans.
After being tested for the coronavirus upon arrival, Americans can head to their homes, while others will go to a variety of U.S. military bases, where they will receive assistance in applying for work authorization, the senior official said on Tuesday.
The arriving Afghans will be connected with refugee resettlement organizations, said the official, who requested anonymity to discuss internal government operations.
Other Afghans evacuated by the United States have been sent to third-country transit points in Europe and Asia, the official said.
U.S. law enforcement and counterterrorism officials are carrying out "robust security processing" before those evacuees are allowed to enter the United States, including biometric and biographical checks, the official said.
(Production: Ashraf Fahim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None