- Title: Putin says Russia will not deploy its armed forces in Afghanistan
- Date: 24th August 2021
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (AUGUST 24, 2021) (RUSSIAN POOL) UNITED RUSSIAN POLITICAL PARTY CONGRESS PARTICIPANTS STANDING UP AS RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN WALKING TO DELIVER SPEECH ON STAGE VARIOUS OF PUTIN SPEAKING RUSSIAN PRIME MINISTER MIKHAIL MISHUSTIN LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "It goes without saying that we do not plan to interfere in Afghanistan's domestic affairs let alone deploy our armed forces in a conflict of everyone against everyone â€“ this is what is happening there I feel. In a conflict that has been going on for several decades (OVER AUDIENCE) in this country. The USSR had its own experience in that country (BACK IN SHOT). We have drawn the necessary lessons. I can say that we have effective means to ensure our security." AUDIENCE LISTENS AND APPLAUDS
- Embargoed: 7th September 2021 20:51
- Keywords: Afghanistan Putin Russia Taliban United Russia terrorism
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERN3JGN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday that Russia would not deploy its armed force to Afghanistan to take part in a conflict and that Moscow had learnt the lessons of the Soviet Union's decade-long failed intervention there.
Putin was speaking to a congress of the ruling United Russia party.
"It goes without saying that we do not plan to interfere in Afghanistan's domestic affairs let alone deploy our armed forces in a conflict," said Putin.
"The USSR had its own experience in that country. We have drawn the necessary lessons."
Soviet forces left Afghanistan in 1989.
(Production: Dmitry Turlyun)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None