- Title: Ukrainian veterans mark Independence Day
- Date: 24th August 2021
- Summary: KYIV, UKRAINE (AUGUST 24, 2021) (REUTERS) MAN WITH CHILD, UKRAINIAN FLAGS SEEN IN BACKGROUND CHEVRONS ON MILITARY UNIFORMS VETS IN MILITARY UNIFORMS
- Embargoed: 7th September 2021 18:03
- Keywords: Independence Day Ukraine march parade
- Location: KYIV, UKRAINE
- City: KYIV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Defence,Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERN3INT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Veterans of the war in Donbass, their families, and volunteers took part in the March of the Defenders of Ukraine in Kyiv on Tuesday (August 24) celebrating the 30th anniversary of Ukrainian independence.
Several thousand people marched through the central streets of Kyiv, military doctors, and chaplains, members of the Belarusians diaspora in Ukraine, as well as relatives of those killed on the Maidan of Independence among them.
Ukraine also held its first military parade in several years on Tuesday, declaring it would reclaim areas of its territory annexed by Russia.
Units of the Ukrainian army, tanks, armored personnel carriers, missiles, and air defence systems marched along the central street of Kyiv, while a parade of Ukrainian Navy units took place in the Black Sea port of Odessa.
Relations between Kyiv and Moscow collapsed after Russia annexed the Crimean peninsula in 2014 and the outbreak of war between Ukrainian troops and Russian-backed forces in eastern Ukraine that Kyiv says has killed 14,000 people in seven years.
On Monday (August 23), more than 40 countries took part in the Crimea platform, a summit in Kyiv designed to keep international attention focused on the return of Crimea.
(Production: Serhiy Takhmazov, Yury Bakhnov)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None