- Title: Tokyo Paralympics kicks off with fireworks at opening ceremony
- Date: 24th August 2021
- Summary: SIGN ON NATIONAL STADIUM READING (English): "TOKYO 2020"
- Embargoed: 7th September 2021 15:36
- Keywords: Japan Tokyo Tokyo Paralympics fireworks national stadium opening ceremony
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002ERN0PJB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The 2020 Paralympic Games kicked off in Tokyo on Tuesday (August 24) with a series of fireworks at the opening ceremony.
Dozens of people gathered outside the stadium to get a glimpse of the pyrotechnics and to take pictures, despite organisers having asked people to watch the ceremony from their homes due to the COVID-19 state of emergency in the capital.
Like the Olympics, the Paralympics opening ceremony was held with no spectators, and Paralympic events will take place generally without spectators.
Organisers said the opening ceremony was attended by about 3,400 members of team delegations, 800 Games "stakeholders" and guests of honor, and 2,400 members of the media.
They have also said they plan to implement the same COVID-19 protocols or "playbook" like the ones used during the Olympics.
The Paralympics are set to run until Sept. 5.
(Production: Akiko Okamoto / Akira Tomoshige)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Olympic restriction: Clip cannot be re-published without additional clearances from the IOC.