- Title: Californiaâ€™s Caldor Fire scorches over 100,000 acres
- Date: 24th August 2021
- Summary: EL DORADO COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 23, 2021) (REUTERS) HEAVY SMOKE BILLOWING OVER FOREST VARIOUS OF FIREFIGHTERS BATTLING WILDFIRE SMOKE BILLOWING IN WOODED AREA
- Embargoed: 7th September 2021 05:58
- Keywords: Cailfornia wildfire Caldor Fire weather wildfire
- Location: LOS ANGELES COUNTY AND EL DORADO COUNTY, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES COUNTY AND EL DORADO COUNTY, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,United States,Wildfires/Forest Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA002ERN36TJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: On Monday (August 23), California firefighters struggled to contain the Caldor Fire, which has burned more than 100,000 acres and destroyed more than 600 structures, local media reported.
According to fire officials, the wildfire, which ignited on August 14 south of Pollock Pines, had burned at least 114,166 acres and was 9% contained as of Monday evening. Cal Fire (The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection) said that more than 24,000 people had been evacuated in El Dorado County, and at least two people have been injured.
California's drought-desiccated timber, brush and grasslands have created a potent fuel bed for several wildfires raging across the state.
California, which typically has experienced its peak fire season in late summer and fall, is already on pace to see more of its landscape go up in flames this year than last, the worst year on record.
(Production: Fred Greaves & Njuwa Maina)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None