- Title: One Afghan evacuated to France now in custody
- Date: 24th August 2021
- Summary: ROISSY-EN-FRANCE, FRANCE (AUGUST 18, 2021) (REUTERS) PLANE CARRYING EVACUEES FROM KABUL TAXIING ON RUNWAY AIR BRIDGE BEING ATTACHED TO PLANE PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH AIR BRIDGE TUNNEL
- Embargoed: 7th September 2021 09:48
- Keywords: Afghanistan Kabul Taliban evacuations police
- Location: PARIS AND ROISSY-EN-FRANCE, FRANCE
- City: PARIS AND ROISSY-EN-FRANCE, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Europe,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERN3XON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Five Afghans who were evacuated from Kabul to France were placed under surveillance due to suspected links to the Taliban and one of them is in custody for failing to comply with a stay at home order, the French government spokesman said on Tuesday (August 24).
Western countries are working to evacuate their citizens and others by an Aug. 31 deadline, a date previously agreed with the Taliban for the withdrawal of foreign forces from Afghanistan. Some countries have asked for more time.
"He's an Afghan national who helped in evacuating French citizens and people who worked for France during the evacuation of the (French) embassy, a moment which was extremely tense. He probably saved lives.," said Gabriel Attal on BFM TV, "he might have had a tie with the Taliban at some point which still needs to be verified, investigations are still ongoing," he added.
The British government said on Monday an individual on a "no-fly" list had been flown from Afghanistan to Britain on a British military plane as part of evacuation efforts but said that person was no longer considered a risk.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None