- Title: Argentines protest deal with China for industrial pig farms
- Date: 25th August 2021
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (AUGUST 25, 2021) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS AGAINST INDUSTRIAL PIG FARMS GATHERED, CHANTING 'NO TO THE PORK AGREEMENT' PROTESTERS WEARING PIG MASKS PROTESTER WITH PIG MASK CHINESE FLAG POLICE ON DUTY AT CHINESE EMBASSY PLAQUE ON CHINESE EMBASSY WALL PROTESTER WITH PIG MASK PLACARD THAT READS: (Spanish) "PORK AGREEMENT = MORE PANDEMICS, LESS WATER, MORE CLEARING (OF LAND)" PROTESTER WITH PLACARD THAT READS: (Spanish) "WE REJECT THE DEAL WITH CHINA" (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PROTESTER, ALEJANDRO BODART, SAYING: "It (industrial pork farms) brings with it different problems. First there is the tremendous environmental toll because pigs pollute, they pollute underground water supplies, they pollute the environment, they bring about new viruses that could be a pandemic. Because of animal mistreatment, with the distorted relationship between man and other species, it's believed that viruses jump from animals and propagates. It's a tremendous mistreatment of animals." PROTESTERS GATHERED VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WITH PIG MASK PROTESTERS GATHERED PROTESTER WITH PIG MASK, CARRYING PLACARD THAT READS: (Spanish) "DEATH" VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WITH PIG MASKS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PROTESTER, PILAR BARBAS, SAYING: "Mainly because of the quantity of water that is used in farms. Santiago del Estero is a city that has problems with (water) hydraulics and that quantity of water is needed. There's the air pollution, the quantity of grain that is needed for all of this. Also, we believe that we're a year and a half into the pandemic and this brings a mega pandemic factory to our country." PROTESTER PLACARD THAT READS: (Spanish) "THE EARTH IS SICK" PROTESTERS GATHERED PLACARD THAT READS: "WARNING: A PANDEMIC FACTORY" PROTESTERS GATHERED SIGN THAT READS: (Spanish) "NO TO THE PORK DEAL"
- Embargoed: 8th September 2021 23:39
- Keywords: Argentina Buenos Aires China industrial farming pigs pork protest
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: South America / Central America,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERS4SAV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Dozens of Argentines protested outside China's Embassy in Buenos Aires on Wednesday (August 25) against the country's deal with Beijing to boost industrial pig farms in the country.
Argentina sought to sign the agreement in August last year which aims to double the South American country's pork output in four years, but delayed the deal amid environmental concerns.
These protesters say the agreement will not only be detrimental to local water supplies but also holds ethical concerns regarding the mistreatment of animals and possible viruses picked up from pigs.
(Production: Miguel Lo Bianco, Claudia Martini, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None