- Title: 'I don't know what to do.' Afghans arrive in United States
- Date: 25th August 2021
- Summary: DULLES, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 25, 2021) (REUTERS) MAN WALKING WITH FAMILY AS HE ARRIVES IN THE UNITED STATES (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED MAN FROM AFGHANISTAN RESPONDING TO QUESTION ON HOW WAS HIS FLIGHT, SAYING: "It was good. (OFF CAMERA MAN IS ASKED IF HE IS HAPPY TO BE HERE) Yeah we are happy. (OFF CAMERA MAN IS ASKED WHAT IS NEXT FOR YOU) We don't know. (what's it like not to know?) I don't know what to do. (WOMAN WALKING WITH MAN SAYS FOCUS ON HIS STUDIES) SOUND OF CHILD CRYING AS PEOPLE LEAVE AIRPORT AND HEAD FOR BUS WOMAN GETTING READY TO BOARD BUS, CARRYING BELONGINGS WIDE SHOT OF GIRL ON BUS TIGHT SHOT OF GIRL ON BUS MAN WITH MASK CARRYING CHILD AS HIS FAMILY FOLLOWS HIM TO BOARD BUS MAN IN WHEEL CHAIR BEING HELPED ON TO BUS (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED MAN FROM AFGHANISTAN RESPONDING TO QUESTION ON HOW WAS HIS FLIGHT, SAYING: "It was good. (MAN IS ASKED IF HE IS HAPPY TO BE HERE) Yeah. (MAN IS ASKED WHAT IS THE NEXT STEP FOR YOU) I don't know. (MAN IS ASKED WHAT IS IT LIKE TO NOT KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING, MAN DOES NOT ANSWER) (WOMAN IS ASKED WHAT IS NEXT AND RESPONDS WE ARE GOING TO A CAMP.)" YOUNG BOY CLIMBS ON TO BUS WOMEN WAIT TO BOARD BUS AS WOMAN SAYS THANK YOU WHEN SHE IS WELCOME TO AMERICA TWO CHILDREN HOLDING HANDS AS THEY PREPARE TO BOARD BUS CHILDREN BOARD BUS, ONE CHILD IS HELD BY WOMAN AS THEY BOARD BUS SIDE SHOT OF BUS DOOR IS CLOSED ON BUS BUS LEAVES AIRPORT CHANTILLY, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 25, 2021) (REUTERS) WIDE EXTERIOR SHOT OF DULLES EXPO CENTER MEN LOADING BELONGINGS ON BUS BEFORE BOARDING BUS TWO MEN WEARING MASKS SITTING IN PARKING LOT VARIOUS CLOTHING HANDING ON BANISTER VARIOUS OF CHILD WITH LARGE TOY AND FAMILY MEMBERS BOARDING BUS LINE OF PEOPLE BOARDING BUS
- Embargoed: 8th September 2021 18:49
- Keywords: Afghan arrivals Afghanistan Biden arrivals expectations immigration war in Afghanistan
- Location: DULLES, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES / CHANTILLY, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES
- City: DULLES, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES / CHANTILLY, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: US
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERS4BPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Afghans arrived in the United States on Wednesday (August 25) days before an Aug. 31 deadline for U.S. forces to pull out of Afghanistan
After making there way through Dulles Airport outside of Washington, buses carrying the evacuees arrived at the Dulles Expo Center, where they are being processed before they are sent on to be housed at military bases around the country.
A senior U.S. official on Tuesday could not say how many Afghans have been evacuated to the United States, adding that the situation remains "fluid" because of the swiftness of the operation.
President Joe Biden's administration has scrambled to evacuate U.S. citizens and Afghan allies amid the chaos at Kabul airport ahead of the deadline.
In the rush, the Biden administration has not said exactly how many Afghans have been allowed to enter the United States, a figure that could show the country's commitment to resettling vulnerable Afghans but also potentially fuel concerns that Afghans could be entering the country without adequate security vetting.
(Production: Greg Savoy, Deborah Lutterbeck)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None