- Title: Serena Williams withdraws from U.S. Open due to torn hamstring
- Date: 25th August 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - JUNE 30, 2018) (REUTERS) SERENA WILLIAMS HITTING IN PRACTICE PAN FROM WILLIAMS' FEET / WILLIAMS HITTING VENUS WILLIAMS DRINKING BALLS SITTING ON RACQUET SERENA WILLIAMS HITTING VENUS WILLIAMS SERVING VARIOUS OF SERENA WILLIAMS HITTING SERENA WILLIAMS DOING STRENGTH EXERCISES WITH TRAINER
- Embargoed: 8th September 2021 12:54
- Keywords: Serena Williams US Open torn hamstring withdrtawal
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Sport,Tennis,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA003ERS3XHB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Serena Williams has withdrawn from next week's U.S. Open after the American said on Wednesday (August 25) that her torn hamstring had not completely healed ahead of the final Grand Slam of the year.
Williams, a six-times winner at Flushing Meadows, has had an injury-marred season and limped out of her first-round match at Wimbledon in tears due to the leg injury.
The 39-year-old, who has been on the hunt for an elusive 24th major, skipped the Olympics in Tokyo and also opted out of the Cincinnati Masters, a tune-up event to the U.S. Open.
"After careful consideration and following the advice of my doctors and medical team, I have decided to withdraw from the U.S. Open to allow my body to heal completely from a torn hamstring," Williams wrote in a statement on Instagram.
"New York is one of the most exciting cities in the world and one of my favourite places to play -- I'll miss seeing the fans but will be cheering everyone from afar."
Williams is the latest big name to pull out of the tournament after reigning men's champion Dominic Thiem and four-times winner Rafa Nadal ended their 2021 season due to injuries.
The main draw of the U.S. Open gets underway in New York on Monday.
(Production: Sophie Penney)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None