- Title: A Ferris wheel lifts spirits in New York's Times Square
- Date: 25th August 2021
- Summary: VARIOUS OF BURCK RIDING FERRIS WHEEL (SOUNDBITE) (English) FOUNDER AND CEO OF AM:PM ENTERTAINMENT CONCEPTS, VITO BRUNO, SAYING: "New York has been locked down and people have been locked up due to COVID for the last two years. Times Square Alliance was looking to bring some great new innovative things to Times Square, so here comes the Times Square Wheel in the greatest city on the greatest block. Now you get to do the greatest selfie in New York City. It's time to get people back out. New York is back. Broadway is back. Times Square is back." FERRIS WHEEL (SOUNDBITE) (English) FOUNDER AND CEO OF AM:PM ENTERTAINMENT CONCEPTS, VITO BRUNO, SAYING: "It kind of brings you back to your childhood. It's a feel good thing, it's just the right time." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WAITING IN LINE FOR THE FERRIS WHEEL (SOUNDBITE) (English) FOUNDER AND CEO OF AM:PM ENTERTAINMENT CONCEPTS, VITO BRUNO, SAYING: "You see people come alive again. They're happy. New York and this country needs happy right now." HANDWRITTEN SIGN TAPED ON TICKETS BOOTH READING (English): "FIRST 100 VACCINATED FREE / AUGUST 1ST - TODAY AND TILL SEPT. 12" (SOUNDBITE) (English) FOUNDER AND CEO OF AM:PM ENTERTAINMENT CONCEPTS, VITO BRUNO, SAYING: "It's 110 feet high. We have 144 people who can ride at one time. We'll be here from noon to midnight every day till the 12th of September. We have a ticket box over here, or you can go on to timessquarewheel.nyc and you can buy tickets there. And if you're vaccinated within the last few days or the next few days, you can come. The first 100 people every day get a free ride." VARIOUS OF "TIMES SQUARE WHEEL"
- Embargoed: 8th September 2021 21:13
- Keywords: Ferris wheel New York Times Square Vito Bruno
- Location: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA003ERS40NB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A 110-feet-high Ferris wheel spins in the once bustling heart of Times Square, helping to turn New York City's economy around with joy.
For 12 minutes, customers can ride the Times Square Wheel for a bird's eye view of the so-called Crossroads of the World in midtown Manhattan, behind red glass steps over the TKTS booth where discounted Broadway show tickets are sold.
"I don't remember the last time I've been on a Ferris wheel. That was so much fun," said Deborah Johnson.
"It was special to be able to go that high in a Ferris wheel in Times Square. How often do you get that opportunity? Never," said Penelope Bustamante.
Before his ride, the Naked Cowboy, a regular attraction himself in Times Square, strummed his guitar and sang, "I'm scared of heights so I'll probably squeal, ahhhh!"
The idea is to bring back the joy of childhood, said Vito Bruno, founder and chief executive of AM:PM Entertainment Concepts. "It's a feel good thing. It's just the right time. You see people come alive again. New York and this country needs happy right now."
Not all riders were so enthusiastic.
"It wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. This was eh," said Arlene Schulman. "I thought I could go up to the elevator at one of the hotels and get a better view. Or maybe I'm just a jaded New Yorker."
Tickets range from $15 to $35. Rides are free each day for the first 100 people vaccinated for COVID-19 from Aug. 1 through Sept. 12, the last day of the attraction. Rides are available from noon to midnight.
(Production: Roselle Chen, Hussein Al Waaile, Richard TS Chang)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None