- Title: Political rivals face off in Bolivia after jailing of ex president Anez
- Date: 25th August 2021
- Summary: GENERAL VIEW OF PROTEST PROTESTER WITH PLACARD THAT READS: (Spanish) "STOP THE PERSECUTION. DEMOCRACY IN BOLIVIA. FREEDOM FOR JEANINE (ANEZ)" POLICE ON DUTY OUTSIDE PRISON PEOPLE OUTSIDE PRISON GATES NEAR POLICE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PRESIDENT OF THE BOLIVIAN HUMAN RIGHTS ASSEMBLY, AMPARO CARVAJAL, SAYING: "Freedom for all political prisoners, the military police, the public in general, everyone. But now our objective and that of this protest at the prison is to call on the population and Jeanine (Anez), our example. Here are her children. We have our heads full of massacres." GENERAL VIEW OF PROTEST OUTSIDE PRISON VARIOUS OF PICTURES ON PRISON WALL OF VICTIMS OF VIOLENCE VARIOUS OF PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ANEZ CRITIC, CARLOS BAPTISTA, SAYING: "We are not going to allow Jeanine Anez to leave prison. She has to pay for the deaths." VARIOUS OF CARVAJAL DURING PROTEST MARCH GENERAL VIEW OF MARCH CARVAJAL CHANTING: (Spanish) "JUSTICE" PROTESTERS MARCHING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ANEZ' DAUGHTER, CAROLINA RIBERA ANEZ, SAYING: "We are asking that my mother gets the necessary medical attention, that the government stop trying to kill her. Now we are with Amparo Carvajal, who has demonstrated that she has the courage that all Bolivians need. Now it's not just about defending my mother's human rights but also saving her life." GENERAL VIEW OF MARCH PLACARD THAT READS: (Spanish) "STOP WITH STATE TERRORISM" GENERAL VIEW OF MARCH
- Embargoed: 8th September 2021 22:01
- Keywords: Bolivia clashes ex president Jeanine Anez politics rival
- Location: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
- City: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
- Country: Bolivia
- Topics: South America / Central America,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003ERS4KEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Political rivals faced off on the streets of La Paz on Wednesday (August 25), when supporters of jailed former president Jeanine Anez protested for her release.
It comes after reports that Anez harmed herself by cutting her lower arms while in jail. Police had categorised the incident as attempted suicide.
Anez was detained earlier this year over accusations that she participated in a coup to oust longtime former President Evo Morales in 2019. She has denied the allegations and says she is a victim of political persecution. She is in jail while awaiting trial.
Supporters of Anez say she is a political prisoner in the country. Detractors want the former president to be jailed for her alleged role in violence.
(Production: Monica Machicao, Santiago Limachi, Sergio Limachi, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None