- Title: Political rivals face off in Bolivia after jailing of ex president Anez
- Date: 25th August 2021
- Summary: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA (AUGUST 25, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RIVAL POLITICAL SUPPORTERS CLASHING
- Embargoed: 8th September 2021 22:01
- Keywords: Bolivia clashes ex president Jeanine Anez politics rival
- Location: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
- City: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
- Country: Bolivia
- Topics: South America / Central America,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERS4KEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Political rivals faced off on the streets of La Paz on Wednesday (August 25), when supporters of jailed former president Jeanine Anez protested for her release.
It comes after reports that Anez harmed herself by cutting her lower arms while in jail. Police had categorised the incident as attempted suicide.
Anez was detained earlier this year over accusations that she participated in a coup to oust longtime former President Evo Morales in 2019. She has denied the allegations and says she is a victim of political persecution. She is in jail while awaiting trial.
Supporters of Anez say she is a political prisoner in the country. Detractors want the former president to be jailed for her alleged role in violence.
(Production: Monica Machicao, Santiago Limachi, Sergio Limachi, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None