- Title: Spain rescues 46 migrants off Canary Islands
- Date: 25th August 2021
- Summary: ARGUINEGUIN, SPAIN (AUGUST 25, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF COAST GUARD VESSEL ARRIVING AT PORT AND MIGRANTS SEATED ON DECK COAST GUARD VESSEL DOCKED COAST GUARD HELPING MIGRANT DISEMBARK COAST GUARD HANDING MIGRANT BABY OVER TO STAFF ON DOCK CHILD BEING HELPED OFF BOAT WOMAN DISEMBARKING VARIOUS OF MIGRANT ON STRETCHER BEING TAKEN OFF BOAT WOMAN DISEMBARKING VARIOUS OF ANOTHER MIGRANT BEING TAKEN OFF BOAT ON STRETCHER VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS DISEMBARKING MIGRANT IN WHEELCHAIR NEXT TO RED CROSS TENT MIGRANT ARRIVING AT RED CROSS TENT POLICE LOOKING ON AS MIGRANT ON STRETCHER IS CARRIED TO RED CROSS TENT RED CROSS TENTS AND EMERGENCY PERSONNEL
- Embargoed: 8th September 2021 23:28
- Keywords: Canary Islands Gran Canaria Spain migrants
- Location: Arguineguin, Spain
- City: Arguineguin, Spain
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Europe,Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERS507B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Spanish coast guards transported 46 migrants rescued in the Atlantic Ocean to the port of Arguineguin on the island of Gran Canaria on Wednesday (August 25).
Two migrants, both men, were taken to hospital due to dehydration and a woman and her baby were also checked by medical personnel.
The dinghy which was intercepted 40 miles south of the island of Gran Canaria was carrying 30 men and 14 women, including a baby and a minor.
So far this year more than 8222 migrants have made the dangerous crossing from the West Africa coast to the Canaries archipelago, over twice as many as in the same period in 2020, which itself saw an eightfold increase from 2019.
(Production: Borja Saurez, Catherine Macdonald)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None