- Title: Firefighters search for at least two people in Spain building collapse
- Date: 25th August 2021
- Summary: PENISCOLA, SPAIN (AUGUST 25, 2021)(REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE)(Spanish) FIREFIGHTER, CARLOS VIRGILI, SAYING: "It's a very complicated job, there were a lot of slabs, it was very unstable and to locate him (victim) where he was, with what was on top was very delicate. We made progress with the work, it has gone well. It was very complicated, it was a lot of effort from us but it went well. (Reporter: Where was the victim?) There was a lot of debris on top, we created a hole, we re-inforced the area, surveilled it. because it was very unstable and with all that could happen. (Reporter: How are you at the moment?) With all that you give to retrieve him, to do all that is possible to secure ourselves too...(Reporter: We saw you all hugging there...) When a job turns out well, when a person is retrieved alive then that is very satisfying. (Reporter: Can you tell us about the work, why was it complicated?) The slabs were a risk at various points, and it involved having to secure all of these points so they can be consistently stable. It meant us breaking the slabs, and securing them so they wouldn't be a threat."
- Embargoed: 8th September 2021 22:37
- Keywords: Peniscola Spain building collapse
- Location: PENISCOLA, SPAIN
- City: PENISCOLA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA004ERS4ZEV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Firefighters were looking for survivors on Wednesday (August 25) after a three-storey apartment building collapsed trapping at least two people in Peniscola, in Spain's region of Valencia, local authorities said.
The building collapsed at around 20:00 local time (18:00 GMT).
Firefighters managed to locate one of the people trapped in the rubble who was still conscious and able to communicate with the rescuers.
Engineers are investigating the cause of the collapse of the building made up of 20 apartments which was built decades ago, local media reported.
(Production: Eva Manez, Catherine Macdonald)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None