- Title: USAID says will give $32 million to quake-hit Haiti
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: MANICHE, HAITI (AUGUST 26, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF USAID ADMINISTRATOR SAMANTHA POWER (WHITE SHIRT) DURING TOUR OF QUAKE-AFFECTED AREA POWER TALKING TO LOCAL WHOSE HOME WAS DESTROYED IN QUAKE PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI (AUGUST 26, 2021) (REUTERS) AID BEING TRANSPORTED MILITARY HELICOPTER TRANSPORTING AID AID BEING TRANSPORTED MANICHE, HAITI (AUGUST 26, 2021) (REUTERS) POWER ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English followed by French translation) USAID ADMINISTRATOR, SAMANTHA POWER, SAYING: "As we build on this initial response I am pleased here to announce (French translator) that USAID will provide an additional $32 million (U.S.) as part of a broader American response (French translator), to support people here affected by the earthquake (French translator). The Prime Minister (Ariel Henry) and I spoke about the Haitian government's sense of the priorities for people (French translator), and how not only USAID and not only the entire U.S. government, but the broader international community can best meet those needs." VARIOUS OF AID IN BOXES VARIOUS OF AID BEING TRANSPORTED (SOUNDBITE) (Creole followed by English translation) PRIME MINISTER ARIEL HENRY, SAYING: "The Haitian government is facing a lot of challenges. (English translator) We have political difficulties. (English translator) We have economic difficulties. (English translator) But despite all these issues we are addressing the challenges of the earthquake. (English translator). If we can have a simple observation, (English translator) you will see that the administration of aid has reached affected areas. (English translator)." MANICHE, HAITI (AUGUST 26, 2021) (REUTERS) POWER TALKING TO LOCAL WHOSE HOME WAS DESTROYED IN QUAKE, DAMAGE TO HOME VARIOUS OF U.S. SOLDIERS AT AIRPORT RUNWAY
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 22:04
- Keywords: Haiti Port-au-Prince Samanth Power USA USAID aid earthquake
- Location: MANICHE + PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI
- City: MANICHE + PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI
- Country: Haiti
- Topics: South America / Central America,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERX3HHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) administrator Samantha Power on Thursday (August 26) announced $32 million in assistance to Haiti.
The Caribbean country is reeling from an earthquake earlier this month that killed more than 2,000 people and destroyed or damaged tens of thousands of homes.
"As we build on this initial response I am pleased here to announce that USAID will provide an additional $32 million (U.S.) as part of a broader American response, to support people here affected by the earthquake," Power told a news conference in Port-au-Prince.
(Production: Robenson Sanon, Herbert Villarraga, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None