- Title: Man City's Mendy charged with four counts of rape, suspended by club
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - SEPTEMBER 30, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BENJAMIN MENDY AT TRAINING WITH MANCHESTER CITY MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - FEBRUARY 25, 2020) (REUTERS) MENDY JUMPING THROUGH CHAIN OF PLAYERS WHO HIT HIM ON HIS WAY THROUGH
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 17:44
- Keywords: Benjamin Mendy Cheshire Constabulary Manchester City Premier League four counts of rape one count of sexual assault
- Location: INTERNET / MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: INTERNET / MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: UK
- Topics: Europe,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002ERX3GOV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy was charged by the Cheshire Constabulary with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault on Thursday (August 26), with the Premier League club suspending the Frenchman pending an investigation.
The police added Mendy, 27, has been remanded in custody and is set to appear at Chester Magistrates' Court on Friday (August 27).
"The charges relate to three complainants over the age of 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021," Cheshire Constabulary said in a statement.
City said in a statement they would not be making any further comment as the matter was subject to a legal process.
Mendy, who has played for France 10 times and won the World Cup in 2018, was signed by City from AS Moncao in 2017 for a fee in the region of 52 million pounds ($71.32 million dollars).
He has won the Premier League three times with City although injuries have limited his playing time, with the left back undergoing knee surgery in the 2018-19 season.
(Production: Kurt Michael Hall)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None