- Title: Tape measures and scales out for London zoo annual weigh-in
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (AUGUST 26, 2021) (REUTERS) ZOOKEEPER PLACING PENGUIN ON SCALE VARIOUS OF PENGUINS VARIOUS OF ZOOKEEPERS WEIGHING PENGUINS (SOUNDBITE) (English) LONDON ZOO, ANIMAL OPERATIONS MANAGER, ANGELA RYAN, SAYING: "So today is the annual weigh-in, so we are weighing all the different animals around the zoo, so that we have got a good record of their weights and also it helps us identify if anything has changed over the year, maybe we have got a pregnancy that we were not aware of or we want to see that the pregnancy is going well and it is healthy so by measuring those weights we have those comparisons." VARIOUS OF ZOOKEEPER MEASURING SIZE OF A TORTOISE ZOOKEEPER LOOKING ON TORTOISE ON SCALE VARIOUS OF ZOOKEEPER WEIGHING SQUIRREL MONKEYS (SOUNDBITE) (English) LONDON ZOO, ANIMAL OPERATIONS MANAGER, ANGELA RYAN, SAYING: "Having those weights means we can make sure our animals are healthy but there is other things we can share - not just with other zoos but with conservation organisations. One thing is for example we measure the paw prints of our tigers, we have trained them to be able to do that. So if we do that every year we can see how big an animal gets as it ages. Conservationists can use that information when they are looking at tiger's paw prints because they don't often see the tigers in the wild so they see the prints and they can work out the likely age of the tigers that are out in the wild." VARIOUS OF ZOOKEEPER WEIGHING CAMEL LION EATING FROM SUSPENDED BASKET AS HEIGH IS MEASURED VARIOUS OF ZOOKEEPERS RECORDING WEIGHT OF AN OWL (SOUNDBITE) (English) LONDON ZOO, ANIMAL OPERATIONS MANAGER, ANGELA RYAN, SAYING: "We have over 20,000 animals here at the zoo but we won't be weighing all of them, if you think we have got many leafcutter ants and they won't be counted. However, we do weigh most of our birds, most of our mammals, most of our reptiles and amphibians, so that is going to be quite a big task and it takes a week to make sure we got all of them in there." ZOOKEEPER RECORDING WEIGHT OF A FROG FROG ON WEIGHING SCALE ZOOKEEPER PLACING TURTLE ON SCALE TURTLE ON SCALE
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 12:55
- Keywords: London zoo animals weigh in
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERX3ZNR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Lions, penguins and camels were among a host of species that were put on the weighing scale on Thursday (August 26) as London Zoo began its annual animal weigh-in.
Zookeepers armed with clipboards and calculators roamed the nearly 200-year-old zoo, tallying weight, height and size of animals.
According to Angela Ryan, the Zoo's animal operations manager, the information gathered will be shared with other zoos and conservation bodies globally.
With at least 20,000 animals calling the zoo home, keepers will spend the rest of week to complete the weigh-in
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None