- Title: Japan ex-minister Takaichi: will run in ruling party leadership election
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE - DECEMBER 24, 2014) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** MEDIA GATHERED VARIOUS OF TAKAICHI WALKING IN FOR MEETING
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 09:16
- Keywords: Liberal Democratic Party Sanae Takaichi Shinzo Abe Yoshihide Suga election government prime minister
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003ERX0GG7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Former Japanese internal affairs minister Sanae Takaichi expressed on Thursday (August 26) her intention to run in the ruling party leadership election.
She also called for an extra budget to be compiled as soon as possible to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.
Incumbent premier Yoshihide Suga and former foreign minister Fumio Kishida have said they would run in the election for Liberal Democratic Party Leadership slated for September.
Takaichi, who has served as internal affairs minister under both Suga and Shinzo Abe, is among several upper cabinet ministers who have repeatedly visited Tokyo's controversial Yasukuni shrine to mark the anniversary of the end of World War II in recent years.
(Production: Joseph Campbell)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None