- Title: Military aircraft take off at Kabul airport in evacuation operations
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (AUGUST 26, 2021) (REUTERS) C-17 MILITARY AIRCRAFT TAKING OFF FROM KABUL AIRPORT VARIOUS OF MILITARY AIRCRAFT TAKING OFF BLUE SKY / AIRPORT VARIOUS OF AIRCRAFT TAXIING ON THE TARMAC
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 08:22
- Keywords: Afghanistan Taliban aircraft conflict evacuation evacuees military planes
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERX0EVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Military aircraft continued taking off and landing at Kabul airport on Thursday (August 26) as Western troops hurry to evacuate people amid the threat of a terror attack by Islamic State militants.
A massive airlift of foreign nationals and some Afghans has been underway since the Taliban captured the city on Aug. 15. In the 11 days since the Taliban swept into Kabul, the United States and its allies had brought out more than 88,000 people. The U.S. military says planes are taking off the equivalent of every 39 minutes.
The Taliban have said foreign troops must leave by the Aug. 31 deadline.
The United States and allies also urged people to move away from Kabul airport on Thursday due to the threat of a terror attack by Islamic State militants.
In an alert issued on Wednesday (August 25) evening, the U.S. embassy in Kabul advised citizens to avoid traveling to the airport and said those already at the gates should leave immediately, citing unspecified "security threats." In a similar advisory, Britain told people in the airport area to move away.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None