- Title: Tax reform on agenda during Macron's Dublin visit
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: HIGGINS AND WIFE SABINA HIGGINS WATCHING ON VARIOUS OF MACRON INSPECTING MILITARY
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 14:27
- Keywords: Emmanuel Macron French President Ireland visit Ireland-France Irish President Michael Higgins Prime Michael Martin bilateral meeting
- Location: DUBLIN, IRELAND
- City: DUBLIN, IRELAND
- Country: Ireland
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002ERX3NT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: France's Emmanuel Macron met with Irish Prime Minister Michael Martin on Thursday (August 26) during a one-day visit to Dublin where tax reform is expected to be on the agenda.
Macron signed a guest book during his visit to the Irish government buildings before holding discussions with Martin.
The European Union's response to the crisis in Afghanistan is also on the agenda as well as the COVID-19 recovery.
Ireland has been facing pressure from the EU since the bloc agreed to support a global overhaul of corporate tax that would introduce a minimum tax rate and change the way large companies are taxed.
Ireland has said it cannot support the floor of 15% for the global tax rate, which is intended to stop multinationals shopping around for the lowest tax rate but would force Dublin to raise its 12.5% rate, which has been instrumental in convincing several companies to make the island their EU headquarters.
The reform, if finalised in October, would need parliamentary approval in the more than 130 countries that support it, including the U.S. Congress where it could face opposition from the Republicans. All EU member states must also approve tax reforms - including the envisioned global deal.
Earlier on Thursday Macron met with Irish President Michael Higgins at the official presidential residence, Ãras an UachtarÃ¡in.
(Production: Lucy Marks)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.