- Title: U.S. court upholds conviction, death sentence of Dylann Roof
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA, UNITED STATES (FILE - JUNE 18, 2015) (REUTERS) PAN DOWN OF CHURCH EXTERIOR SIDE SHOT SHOWING VARIOUS FLOWERS, BALLOONS, AND CANDLES OUTSIDE OF CHURCH TIGHT SHOT OF FLOWERS AND CANDLES LEFT OUTSIDE OF CHURCH COUPLE LAYING FLOWERS OUTSIDE OF CHURCH PAN DOWN FROM TOP OF CHURCH TO MEMORIAL
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 06:14
- Keywords: Dylann Roof Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church South Carolina mass shooting
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA005ERX2DZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A U.S. appeals court on Wednesday (August 25) upheld the conviction and death sentence of Dylann Roof, the white supremacist who killed nine Black people at a South Carolina church in 2015, court documents showed.
The three-judge U.S. 4th Circuit Court of Appeals panel issued the ruling against Roof, who argued that he was not competent to stand trial and represent himself and that the U.S. District Court where he was found guilty abused its discretion.
"No cold record or careful parsing of statutes and precedents can capture the full horror of what Roof did," the judges wrote in their opinion. "His crimes qualify him for the harshest penalty that a just society can impose."
In December 2016, a jury found Roof guilty of 33 federal charges for the mass shooting at the historic Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston in June 2015. The same jury sentenced him to death in January 2017.
(Production: Njuwa Maina)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None