- Title: India's sixth evacuation flight from Afghanistan comes home amid IS threat
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: GHAZIABAD, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (AUGUST 26, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VEHICLES OUTSIDE HINDAN AIR FORCE STATION BUS CARRYING EVACUATED PEOPLE COMING OUT OF STATION EVACUATED PEOPLE WATCHING FROM BUS WINDOW BUS LEAVING AS EVACUATED PEOPLE WAVE AT CAMERAS EXTERIOR OF STATION BUSES CARRYING EVACUATED PERSONS OUTSIDE STATION BUS ON ROAD EVACUATED PERSONS ON BUS BUS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi and English) UNIDENTIFIED PERSON EVACUATED FROM AFGHANISTAN, SAYING: "We don't know what was happening outside, we were working there at the U.S. Army Base in Kabul at airport. I don't have any idea what Taliban is doing. (REPORTER ASKING: What's the situation like at Kabul airport?) I think it's fine, they are trying to evacuate everyone." EVACUATED PERSONS ON BUS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) UNIDENTIFIED PERSON EVACUATED FROM AFGHANISTAN, SAYING: "We were inside the U.S. Army base and were working there. We didn't face many problems in recent events. I think the people outside the airport had some problems. We are fine." NEW DELHI, INDIA (AUGUST 26, 2021) (ANI-NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF AFGHAN REFUGEES LIVING IN DELHI SLOGANEERING OUTSIDE UNHCR OFFICE
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 14:04
- Keywords: Afghanistan India Indian Air Force Kabul New Delhi Taliban evacuation
- Location: GHAZIABAD, UTTAR PRADESH/ NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: GHAZIABAD, UTTAR PRADESH/ NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERX1J67
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A sixth flight carrying citizens and Afghan refugees landed in Indian Air Force's base near capital New Delhi on Thursday (August 26), amid an attack threat by Islamic State (IS) militants in Kabul.
The United States and allies urged people to move away from Kabul airport on Thursday, citing the threat of an attack by IS militants as Western troops hurry to evacuate as many people as possible before an Aug. 31 deadline.
It was India's sixth evacuation flight under the operation termed "Devi Shakti" (Power of the Goddess) that landed at Hindan Air Base in Ghaziabad city.
The people who arrived from Afghanistan, including some Nepal citizens, were taken from Delhi airport to the paramilitary Indo-Tibetan Border Police's camp where they will be tested for coronavirus and undergo mandatory 14-day institutional quarantine.
Meanwhile, in the capital city Delhi, Afghan refugees gathered outside UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) office for the fourth day straight and protested demanding refugee cards, resettlement options to a third country, and security.
The dreaded militant outfit Taliban entered Kabul on August 15 after rapidly taking over much of the country, prompting chaotic scenes at the airport as crowds scrambled to escape.
During their 1996-2001 rule, also guided by Islamic law, or shariah, the Taliban stopped women from working and administered punishments including public stoning. Girls were not allowed to go to school and women had to wear all-enveloping 'burqas' to go out
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None