- Title: Dozens wounded as street vendors clash with police clearing a Peruvian market
- Date: 27th August 2021
- Summary: LIMA, PERU (AUGUST 26, 2021) (REUTERS) STREET VENDORS THROWING ROCKS AT THE POLICE POLICE COVERING THEMSELVES WITH SHIELDS STREET VENDORS THROWING ROCKS AT POLICE INJURED STREET VENDOR HELPED BY HIS MATES (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PERUVIAN, MARIA GONZALEZ, SAYING: "Street vendors have invaded all the streets in downtown Lima. That is wrong, and secondly, the police are not equipped with tear gas to prevent this from happening. One or two people could've died." POLICE AND STREET VENDORS ON THE STREET POLICE WALKING WITH A LIMP (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) PERUVIAN, JORGE TARAZONA, SAYING: "The police stole the street vendors' goods, so the street vendors complained because they were obviously not going to allow them to steal their goods. That is when they started fighting." PEOPLE WALKING TOWARDS A BRAWL MOUNTED POLICE ON THE STREET
- Embargoed: 10th September 2021 17:28
- Keywords: COVID-19 Lima clashes police street vendors
- Location: LIMA, PERU
- City: LIMA, PERU
- Country: Peru
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,South America / Central America,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES24KSN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Clashes broke out in Lima on Thursday (August 26) during a police operation to remove street vendors.
Forty-seven police officers and street vendors were injured during the confrontations.
Municipal authorities reported the street vendors started attacking the police and damaging public fences and tents.
"The police stole the street vendors' goods, so the street vendors complained," a bystander who saw the action unfold, Jorge Tarazona, told Reuters. "That is when they started fighting."
The operation was carried out under a judicial order to remove illegal street vendors from the streets in an governmental attempt to regain public spaces to avoid crowds during the COVID-19 pandemic.
(Production: Carlos Valdez, Geraldine Downer, Nina Lopez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None