- Title: Fierce winds and heavy rains lash Cuba as Ida tears through
- Date: 27th August 2021
- Summary: HAVANA, CUBA (AUGUST 27, 2021) (REUTERS) PEOPLE IN STREET COVERING THEMSELVES FROM RAIN PERSON COVERING HERSELF WITH UMBRELLA PERSON WALKING IN THE RAIN VARIOUS OF HEAVY RAINS IN HAVANA MALECON
- Embargoed: 10th September 2021 20:40
- Keywords: Cuba Havana Hurricane Ida rains winds
- Location: HAVANA, CAYO LARGO DEL SUR, GERONA, ISLE OF YOUTH, CUBA
- City: HAVANA, CAYO LARGO DEL SUR, GERONA, ISLE OF YOUTH, CUBA
- Country: Cuba
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,South America / Central America,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA003ES20EO7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hurricane Ida hit Cuba's Isle of Youth on Friday (August 27), lashing the island nation with fierce winds and rain.
Cuba's meteorology institute said Ida would cause storm surges as far east as Havana. The governor of the Isle of Youth, Adian Morera, said an evacuation centre was ready to receive families in the main town of Nueva Gerona, and sea vessels had already been secured along the coast.
Ida smashed into the Isle of Youth, packing maximum sustained winds of 75 miles per hour (120 km per hour), meteorologists said.
Ida reached hurricane status much more quickly than forecasters had expected.
The storm was expected to keep gaining strength and speed over the warm Gulf waters, endangering the coastlines of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama, forecasters said.
(Production: Mario Fuentes, Nelson Gonzalez, Anett Rios, Liamar Ramos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None