- Title: Spanish diplomats, military and Afghan staff arrive in Spain
- Date: 27th August 2021
- Summary: TORREJON DE ARDOZ, SPAIN (AUGUST 27, 2021) (REUTERS) AIR EUROPA PLANE CARRYING EVACUEES TAXIING AT TORREJON DE ARDOZ AIR BASE STAIRS BEING MOVED TO PLANE COCKPIT SPANISH PRIME MINISTER PEDRO SANCHEZ WALKING TOWARDS PLANE VARIOUS OF SPAIN'S AMBASSADOR TO AFGHANISTAN GABRIEL FERRAN CARRION WALKING DOWN PLANE STAIRS AND BEING GREETED BY SANCHEZ MILITARY DISEMBARKING SPANISH EVACUEES HUGGING FAMILY MILITARY DISEMBARKING MILITARY GROUND STAFF HUGGING SOLDIERS PLANE EVACUATED POLICE HOLDING WEAPONS DISEMBARKING POLICE OFFICERS DISEMBARKING SANCHEZ WELCOMING EVACUEES WOMAN PUSHING PRAM ON TARMAC MAKING HER WAY THROUGH CROWD OF EVACUATED MILITARY TROOPS MILITARY DISEMBARKING SANCHEZ WITH EVACUATED DIPLOMATS AND MINISTERS AMBASSADOR FERRAN CARRION VARIOUS OF EVACUATED AFGHAN FAMILIES APPROACHING POLICE CAR AFGHAN MAN CARRYING BABY AFGHAN FAMILY MOVING ALONG AS LOCALS APPLAUD VARIOUS OF AFGHAN FAMILY HEADING TO TERMINAL SANCHEZ LEAVING
- Embargoed: 10th September 2021 19:45
- Keywords: Afghanistan Pedro Sanchez Spain evacuation
- Location: TORREJON DE ARDOZ, SPAIN
- City: TORREJON DE ARDOZ, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Europe,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES23KG7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez welcomed evacuees from Afghanistan at Torrejon de Ardoz air base on Friday (August 27) after Madrid announced it had concluded its evacuation mission earlier in the day ahead of the August 31 withdrawal deadline.
Among the arrivals were Spain's ambassador to Afghanistan Gabriel Ferran Carrion, members of Spain's diplomatic mission, 82 military troops and 20 Spanish police, as well as Afghan nationals. In addition, four members of Portugal's military were also on the Air Europa flight from Dubai.
Over the course of its rescue mission Spain has evacuated 2,200 people in total of which 1,898 are Afghans who worked with western countries, the United Nations or the European Union.
Torrejon de Ardoz is being used as the European hub for Afghan evacuees who are then transferred to other parts of Spain and the European Union.
(Production: Michael Gore, Catherine Macdonald)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None