- Title: 16 killed in Pakistan chemical factory fire
- Date: 27th August 2021
- Summary: KARACHI, PAKISTAN (AUGUST 27, 2021) (REUTERS) RESCUE, SECURITY PERSONNEL, MEDIA AND PEOPLE GATHERED / SMOKE RISING FROM FACTORY SMOKE RISING FROM GUTTED FACTORY
- Embargoed: 10th September 2021 16:18
- Keywords: 16 killed Karachi Pakistan chemical factory fire
- Location: KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- City: KARACHI, PAKISTAN
- Country: Pakistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES206RR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least 16 people were killed in a factory fire on Friday (August 27) in Pakistan's largest city and financial hub, Karachi, raising questions about the industrial safety in a country not new to such accidents.
The fire broke out at a multi-story chemical factory in the eastern part of the city, and most windows of the factory were blocked, police and fire officials said.
Many factory workers died after being trapped on the second floor in the fire, which broke out on the ground floor of the three-story factory.
Over 260 workers were burnt alive when a multi-storey garment factory was set on fire in September 2012 in what became the deadliest industrial blaze in Pakistan's history.
Blazes and accidents are common in South Asia's factories, many of which operate illegally and without proper fire safety measures.
(Production: Shahabuddin Shahab)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None