- Title: Gun that killed Billy the Kid sells for $6 million
- Date: 27th August 2021
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - AUGUST 5, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GUN USED TO KILL OUTLAW BILLY THE KID BY SHERIFF PAT GARRETT ON DISPLAY AT BONHAMS AUCTION HOUSE VARIOUS OF AUCTION HOUSE EXPERT PICKING UP GUN AND SHOWING IT TO THE MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) CATHERINE WILLIAMSON, DIRECTOR OF FINE BOOKS AND MANUSCRIPTS AT BONHAMS, SAYING: "This is the gun that killed Billy the Kid. It's one of the best-documented antique firearms of the American West. We've estimated it at two million to three million dollars, and it's going on the auction block on August 27th at Bonhams." VARIOUS OF WILLIAMSON WITH GUN VARIOUS OF GUN ON DISPLAY AT AUCTION HOUSE (SOUNDBITE) (English) CATHERINE WILLIAMSON, DIRECTOR OF FINE BOOKS AND MANUSCRIPTS AT BONHAMS, SAYING: "This is possibly the most important, most collectible gun in all of the American West. It is the gun that Pat Garrett confiscated from a member of Billy the Kid's gang and then later shot him with. All of this happening in 1881." VARIOUS OF GUN ON DISPLAY AT AUCTION HOUSE VARIOUS OF GUN USED TO KILL BILLY THE KID IN WILLIAMSON'S HAND
- Embargoed: 10th September 2021 22:13
- Keywords: Billy the Kid auction gun
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: US
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES23WAV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The gun that killed American Wild West outlaw Billy the Kid sold for more than $6 million at auction on Friday (August 27) in Los Angeles, more than double the pre-sale estimate.
Bonhams auctioneers said the Colt single-action revolver that Sheriff Pat Garrett used to take down Billy the Kid in 1881 was bought over the phone by a person who wished to remain anonymous.
Bonhams, which described the gun as "the most iconic treasure of early Western history," said the $6.03 million price was a world record for any firearm. It had been expected to fetch between $2 million and $3 million.
Billy the Kid was a wanted man in Arizona and New Mexico, killing eight men. After a months-long pursuit, Garrett tracked him down to a ranch in Fort Sumner, New Mexico, and shot and killed him on July 14, 1881. Billy the Kid was 21 years old.
The story of the 19th-century outlaw has been chronicled in pop culture for almost 100 years, including in movies such as "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" and "Young Guns."
The gun came from the collection of Texas couple Jim and Theresa Earle, who amassed Western firearms and other artifacts for some 50 years. Jim Earle died in 2019.
(Production: Sandra Stojanovic, Omar Younis)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None