- Title: Plane carrying evacuated Afghans in transit to U.S. arrives in Albania
- Date: 27th August 2021
- Summary: TIRANA, ALBANIA (AUGUST 27, 2021) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** AFGHAN EVACUEES DISEMBARKING PLANE PLANE ON TARMAC AFGHAN EVACUEES NEAR PLANE AFGHAN EVACUEES ON TARMAC AFGHAN EVACUEE IN A WHEELCHAIR SANITIZING HANDS, BEING WHEELED FEMALE EVACUEE WAITING TO HAVE HER TEMPERATURE CHECKED EVACUEES WAITING IN LINE TO BE REGISTERED EVACUEES SANITIZING HANDS VARIOUS OF EVACUEES WAITING IN LINE EVACUEES GOING THROUGH SECURITY CHECK VARIOUS OF EVACUEES IN A TENT FOR REGISTRATION EVACUEES OUTSIDE REGISTRATION TENT EVACUEES WALKING TOWARDS TENT
- Embargoed: 10th September 2021 08:45
- Keywords: Afghanistan Kabul evacuation U.S. alabania evacuees in transit
- Location: TIRANA, ALBANIA
- City: TIRANA, ALBANIA
- Country: Albania
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Europe,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES22SSN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A plane carrying 121 people evacuated from Afghanistan and in transit to the United States arrived in Albania's Tirana airport early of Friday (August 27).
Passengers included babies, children and people in wheelchairs, all of whom had their temperatures checked upon arrival and were taken to tents for registration and some food, a Reuters photographer at the scene said.
The plane arrived from Tbilisi where the Afghans had been flown to from Kabul, Albanian media reported.
The Afghans are now expected to be taken to hotels in the coastal town of Durres, where they will stay until they are vetted by U.S. security and immigration authorities and their documentation for U.S. immigration visas is arranged.
Albania and North Macedonia, both NATO members, as well as Kosovo, agreed to a proposal by U.S. President Joe Biden's administration to serve as transit countries for Afghan refugees whose final destination is the United States.
(Production: Florion Goga, Anna Dabrowska)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None