- Title: Germany welcomes Compact with Africa nations leaders in Berlin
- Date: 27th August 2021
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (AUGUST 27, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GERMAN AND EU FLAGS OUTSIDE CHANCELLERY / PARLIAMENT IN BACKGROUND CONVOY SEEN DRIVING PAST FENCE EUROPEAN COMMISSION PRESIDENT URSULA VON DER LEYEN ARRIVING AT CHANCELLERY / BEING GREETED BY GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL / POSING FOR PHOTO / GOING INSIDE AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK PRESIDENT, AKINWUMI ADESINA, ARRIVING AND BEING GREETED BY MERKEL HONOUR GUARD MANAGING DIRECTOR OF THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND, KRISTALINA GEORGIEVA ARRIVING, BEING GREETED BY MERKEL RWANDA PRESIDENT PAUL KAGAME ARRIVING / BEING GREETED BY MERKEL WORLD BANK PRESIDENT DAVID MALPASS ARRIVING / BEING GREETED BY MERKEL AUC CHAIRMAN MOUSSA FAKI ARRIVING / BEING GREETED BY MERKEL MEDIA REPUBLIC OF CONGO PRESIDENT FELIX TSHILOMBO ARRIVING / BEING GREETED BY MERKEL POLICE CONVOY ARRIVING AT CHANCELLERY PEOPLE LOOKING OUT OF WINDOW EUROPEAN COUNCIL PRESIDENT CHARLES MICHEL ARRIVING / BEING GREETED BY MERKEL GHANA PRESIDENT NANA AKUFO-ADDO ARRIVING / BEING GREETED BY MERKEL CLOSE OF MERKEL MEDIA GUINEA PRESIDENT ALPHA CONDÃ‰ BEING GREETED BY MERKEL SOUTH AFRICAN PRESIDENT CYRIL RAMAPHOSA ARRIVING / BEING GREETED BY MERKEL EU AND GERMAN FLAGS, PARLIAMENT IN BACKGROUND
- Embargoed: 10th September 2021 15:57
- Keywords: Africa Compact nations EU German Chancellor Angela Merkel Germany Ursula von Der Leyen
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES20Z7R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday (August 27) hosted the last Africa summit of her chancellorship.
African leaders along with the EU Commission and COuncil presidents joined Merkel for talks with global economic leaders.
The summit will take stock of the results of the G20 Compact with Africa that was launched in 2017 under the German G20 Presidency to promote private investment in Africa.
One of the aims was to create good jobs for Africans, easing the poverty which, along with political instability and violence, has encouraged large numbers to head for Europe. But with Africa's population growing at almost three percent a year, the task is enormous.
The Berlin event which includes roundtable talks is designed to showcase the continent as a stable destination for German investment.
(production: Martin Schlicht, Fanny Brodersen, Tanya Wood)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None