- Title: Kabul evacuation flights continue after deadly airport attack
- Date: 27th August 2021
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (AUGUST 27, 2021) (REUTERS) AIRCRAFT ON TARMAC AT HAMID KARZAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AIRCRAFT TAXIING PEOPLE QUEUING TO BOARD AIRCRAFT AIRCRAFT TAKING OFF AIRCRAFT ON TARMAC AIRCRAFT TAKING OFF AIRCRAFT TAXIING AIRCRAFT TAKING OFF
- Embargoed: 10th September 2021 09:18
- Keywords: Afghanistan Hamid Karzai International Airport Islamic State Kabul Kabul Airport aircraft departing evacuation flights suicide bombing
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES1ZYVB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Evacuation flights at Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul on Friday (August 27), after two explosions had occurred nearby the previous evening.
The Islamic State (ISIS), an enemy of the Taliban as well as the West, have claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing which took place outside the gates of the airport. 85 people, including 13 U.S. soldiers, have been killed according to a hospital source, Taliban official and the U.S. military.
General Frank McKenzie, head of U.S. Central Command, said commanders were on alert for more attacks by ISIS, including possibly rockets or car bombs targeting the airport. The U.S. would press on with evacuations despite the threat of further attacks, he added.
The pace of evacuation flights had accelerated, said a Western security official stationed inside the airport. In the past 12 days, Western countries have evacuated nearly 100,000 people. However, they acknowledge that thousands will be left behind when the last U.S. troops leave at the end of the month.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None