- Title: Last German military planes coming from Kabul land in Wunstdorf
- Date: 27th August 2021
- Summary: WUNSTORF, GERMANY (AUGUST 27, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FIRST A400M, ONE OF THREE BUNDESWEHR PLANES LANDING, THE LAST TO RETURN FROM THE NOW FINISHED KABUL AIRLIFT VARIOUS OF SECOND A400M, ONE OF THREE BUNDESWEHR PLANES LANDING, THE LAST TO RETURN FROM THE NOW FINISHED KABUL AIRLIFT A310, ONE OF THREE BUNDESWEHR PLANES LANDING, THE LAST TO RETURN FROM THE NOW FINISHED KABUL AIRLIFT VARIOUS OF PLANES TAXIING ON RUNWAY PLANE GOING THROUGH WATER ARCH DISPLAY VARIOUS OF PLANES STANDING PLANE WITH STAIRS DOWN FOR SOLDIERS TO DEPLANE
- Embargoed: 10th September 2021 19:22
- Keywords: Afghanistan Germany Kabul Taliban Wunstorf arrivals defence minister evacuations explosion refugees
- Location: WUNSTORF, GERMANY
- City: WUNSTORF, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES20SW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Three Bundeswehr planes, two A400M and one A310 landed in Wunstorf on Friday (August 27) bringing German soldiers back home and marking the end of the Germany-Kabul air bridge.
The planes carrying more than 400 soldiers returned to Germany with Defence Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer on board after taking part in the evacuation of civilians and personnel since August 16.
The German military ended its airlift from Kabul airport late on Thursday after evacuating 5,347 people, including more than 4,100 Afghans.
Around 300 German citizens remain in the country, according to the foreign office in Berlin - along with an unknown number of former Afghan staff and their families.
The German government has said it will work with urgency to find other ways to evacuate those remaining in Afghanistan.
(Production: Tanya Wood, Gabi Sajonz, Leon Malherbe, Max Schwarz)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None