- Title: Evacuation efforts continue at Kabul airport after deadly attack
- Date: 27th August 2021
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (AUGUST 27, 2021) (REUTERS) PEOPLE QUEUING TO BOARD A PLANE AT HAMID KARZAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT VARIOUS OF PLANES TRAVELLING ACROSS THE TARMAC PLANE TAKING OFF
- Embargoed: 10th September 2021 05:53
- Keywords: Afghanistan Hamid Karzai International Airport Islamic State Kabul Kabul Airport Taliban bombing suicide bombing
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES200G7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Evacuation efforts continued at Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul on Friday (August 27), hours after an Islamic State suicide bomber killed scores of civilians and 13 U.S. soldiers outside the gates of the airport.
Evacuees were seen boarding a flight and a plane was spotted taking off from the airport on Friday, as efforts to continue to evacuate people from Afghanistan after the Taliban took control earlier this month.
Kabul health officials were quoted as saying 60 civilians were killed in the attacks on Thursday (August 26). At least two blasts and gunfire rocked the area, witnesses said. Video shot by Afghan journalists showed dozens of bodies strewn around a canal on the edge of the airport.
Islamic State (ISIS), an enemy of the Taliban as well as the West, said one of its suicide bombers targeted "translators and collaborators with the American army". U.S. officials also blamed the group and vowed retribution.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None