- Title: Argentina's president charged with allegedly breaking quarantine to host party
- Date: 27th August 2021
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (AUGUST 13, 2021) (REUTERS) NEWSPAPERS REPORTING ON ARGENTINE FIRST LADY, FABIOLA YANEZ, AND GUESTS AT HER BIRTHDAY PARTY ON JULY 14, 2020
- Embargoed: 10th September 2021 20:54
- Keywords: Alberto Fernandez COVID-19 Fabiola Yanez birthday party pandemic impeachment
- Location: OLIVOS & BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA / INTERNET
- City: OLIVOS & BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA / INTERNET
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: South America / Central America,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES24HMV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Argentine prosecutors have charged President Alberto Fernandez with allegedly breaking a mandatory quarantine, local media reported on Thursday (August 27), when he and his partner hosted a birthday party last year with friends.
Dailies Clarin and La Nacion reported the news, citing prosecutors, who did not immediately respond to a comment request from Reuters.
The case against Fernandez has grabbed headlines in past weeks as Argentina imposed stricter lockdowns than most countries to deal with the pandemic. In July of last year, Fernandez himself had banned all social gatherings before hosting one for the birthday of Fabiola Yanez, his partner.
Earlier on Thursday, Fernandez participated in a hearing in the case and offered to pay a fine to settle the case.
Opposition lawmakers have tried to start a political trial against Fernandez due to the party, although they have a slim chance of succeeding because most lawmakers are aligned with the government party.
(Production: Juan Bustamante, Nina Lopez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None