- Title: Ida set to make landfall on 16th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina
- Date: 29th August 2021
- Summary: NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 29, 2005) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) RAIN FALLING ON DOWNTOWN NEW ORLEANS STREET WITH POLICE CAR BOURBON STREET SIGN BLOWING IN WIND AND RAIN NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 29, 2005) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TREES SWAYING WITH SIGNS IN BLOWING WIND AND RAIN NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 30, 2005) (REUTERS) FLOODED STREET PEOPLE WADING THROUGH FLOODED STREET HOMES UNDER WATER STREET SIGN UNDER WATER RESIDENTS ON BALCONY OF FLOODED APARTMENT BUILDING RESIDENTS CROWDED ON RESCUE BOAT VARIOUS OF WOMAN CRYING ON BACK OF TRUCK YOUNG BOY CRYING AS HE IS LIFTED OUT OF BOAT BOY CRYING AS ANOTHER YOUTH TRIES TO CONSOLE HIM WOMAN CARRIED OUT OF FLOODWATERS UP BRIDGE BABY HANDED TO NATIONAL GUARD SOLDIER IN TRUCK NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA, UNITED STATES (SEPTEMBER 8, 2005) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BODY COVERED WITH TARP IN FLOODED AREA UNDER HIGHWAY
- Embargoed: 12th September 2021 00:52
- Keywords: Hurricane Ida Katrina Louisiana New Orleans storm
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Environment,United States,Weather
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES72DL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Sunday (August 29) marks 16 years since Hurricane Katrina pounded the Gulf Coast, killing 1,800 people and leaving the city of New Orleans under water. It was one of the deadliest and costliest storms in U.S. history.
Hurricane Ida, which is currently churning its way across the Gulf of Mexico is also expected to make landfall on Sunday.
Louisiana's Governor has characterized Ida as a "very strong" Category 4 storm on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale, generating winds of 140 miles per hour (225 kph), heavy downpours and a tidal surge that could plunge much of the Louisiana shoreline under several feet of water.
(Production: Kevin Fogarty, Don Pessin, Greg Savoy, Deborah Gembara)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None