- Title: Evacuees from Kabul enjoy their new life in the West at Ramstein airbase
- Date: 28th August 2021
- Summary: RAMSTEIN, GERMANY (AUGUST 28, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SMALL AFGHAN BOY BEHIND BARS (BECAUSE OF QUARANTINE) VARIOUS OF AFGHAN EVACUEES IN HANGAR AT RAMSTEIN AIR BASE (BEHIND BARS BECAUSE OF QUARANTINE) BOY LOOKING THROUGH BARS (SOUNDBITE) (English) AFGHAN EVACUEE RAFI, 23, FROM KABUL, SAYING: "Definitely, definitely. Those people that did travel to the U.S. they are very lucky. Their futures that guaranteed. Everything that they want to do, they can do. But in Afghanistan, we can't. No one can.") (SOUNDBITE) (English) AFGHAN EVACUEE JAMAL, 17, (WITH HIS FATHER ASRAR MASHWANY WHO SECURED A WESTERN COMPANY, SAYING: "Yes, yes, my father has documents and we have groups to come here and to enter here. Because this is the, you know, this is the uniform of my father. He worked with OGR company in Afghanistan. And there my father defends your military. Here you are I think you are soldiers. And Afghanistan, all of the defence is... My father's company helps with your military people." VARIOUS OF AFGHAN EVACUEES, CHILDREN PLAYING GIRL SMILES TENTS AT RAMSTEIN AIR BASE HOUSING AFGHAN EVACUEES DURING QUARANTINE AFGHAN EVACUEES IN TENT AREA (BEHIND FENCE DUE TO QUARANTINE) AFGHAN WOMEN WITH CHILD U.S. SOLDIERS OUTSIDE OF FENCE AFGHAN CHILDREN INSIDE FENCE MORE U.S. SOLDIERS VARIOUS OF AFGHAN CHILDREN INSIDE CAMP (SOUNDBITE) (English) JOSH OLSON, GENERAL, SAYING: "You know, it's it's about hope, right, and it's about humanity and it's about hope. And that, you know, the five lenses that we look through here, first and foremost, it's all about security first, then it's about the human peace of food, water, shelter and hygiene. And so as we give them that hope, both from that friendly face from our NGO partners, USO, American Red Cross, that meet them at the bus to all the way through. And the amazing outpouring of family members here and the Kaiserslautern military community, it's it's, again, giving them hope to start a new life." VARIOUS OF AFGHAN EVACUEES BOARDING BUS (TO GET TO OTHER CAMPS) U.S. AIR FORCE PLANE VARIOUS OF AFGHAN EVACUEES WAITING BEHIND FENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ELISABETH HORST, STATE DEPARTMENT, SAYING: "I can say that the people who have gotten off the plane here, who do not intend to go to the United States, we have made every effort to make sure that what we call third country nationals that want to go to another country, whether it be Uganda or the U.K. or if they're have an affiliation with somewhere in Europe, that we put them in touch with their consular services, that we can get them off. " VARIOUS OF U.S. SOLDIERS HELPING AFGHAN EVACUEES WITH THEIR LUGGAGE VARIOUS OF AFGHAN EVACUEES BOARDING BUS TO TAKE THEM TO THE PLANE AFGHAN EVACUEES BOARDING PLANE VARIOUS OF PLANE (SOUNDBITE) (English) JOSH OLSON, GENERAL, SAYING: "So, I go back to the point on, you know, as we as we all brace or when we were surprised with that horrific attack, I think the biggest issue with that is it's now changed the game as far as where ISIS is and what their next move is. And so as we continue to assess both the security downrange, I mean, that's where CENTCOM and, you know, outside of... here at Ramstein, our focus, again, remains the security of this air base, the our Afghan evacuees, our friends and family in the countryside, greater military community. And so that's where we're focused on most." VARIOUS OF AFGHAN EVACUEES IN CAMP
- Embargoed: 11th September 2021 17:08
- Keywords: Afghanistan Germany Ramstein air base evacuation
- Location: RAMSTEIN, GERMANY
- City: RAMSTEIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES7164N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The U.S. military's Ramstein air base in Germany has become a makeshift tent city for thousands of Afghan evacuees who have managed to leave their country.
The Afghan evacuees all undergo medical examinations at the air base and stay under quarantine before they move on to the United States or another country where a new life awaits them.
Aircraft hangars at the base have been set up to accommodate the evacuees, as well as 340 tents to house the families.
Ramstein air base in Germany has been serving as the largest reception port for Operation Allies Refuge within U.S. European Command since Aug. 20 when the base began receiving evacuees and vulnerable Afghans.
(Production: Andreas Buerger, Michael Serr, Ute Swart)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None