- Title: Bolivian couple marry atop majestic Illimani mountain
- Date: 28th August 2021
- Summary: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA (AUGUST 28, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GENERAL VIEWS OF ILLIMANI MOUNTAIN
- Embargoed: 11th September 2021 20:45
- Keywords: Bolivia Illimani Mountain wedding
- Location: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
- City: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
- Country: Bolivia
- Topics: South America / Central America,Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES726H3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A couple in Bolivia with a taste for the extravagant tied the knot on top of the Illimani Mountain, the highest mountain in the Cordillera Real of western Bolivia.
Clearly visible from Bolivia's capital La Paz, Illimani's ''eternal snows'' are frequently referenced in the music, mythology and literature of the Aymara people.
Sunshine and pleasant temperatures ensured the day was an unforgettable experience for groom Jhonny Pacheco and his bridge Heydi Paco atop the mountain in the Andes.
It took the couple three days to make the ascent to the summit from La Paz. The couple are from the central department of Cochabamba.
Agustin Gonzales, a fellow mountaineer and godfather who officiated the wedding, spoke for the couple during the out of the ordinary wedding.
''They are sportspeople and nature lovers, as well as mountain lovers. It is for that reason, they have decided to take their marriage vows on the summit of this mountain. Well, we are very close to heaven and close to God and he blesses you, from the top of the Illimani mountain," he said.
The couple was wed at a height of 6,439 meters (21,125 feet) above sea level on the mountain summit.
(Production: Santiago Limachi, Geraldine Downer)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None