- Title: Spanish NGO assists dozens of migrants near Lampedusa
- Date: 28th August 2021
- Summary: AT SEA (AUGUST 28, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS NAVIGATING TO THE ITALIAN ISLAND OF LAMPEDUSA IN A WOODEN-BOAT MIGRANTS WAITING FOR MEMBERS OF PROACTIVA OPEN ARMS NGO TO HELP THEM / MIGRANT SAYING IN FRENCH: "There is no job, many are unemployed, what are we going to do there? Everybody knows the situation in Tunisia. We seek work, a future. We seek the things that we can't get in our country." MIGRANT CHILD TOUCHING WATER FROM BOAT OPEN ARMS SPEED BOAT APPROACHING "ASTRAL" TO RETRIEVE A BAG WITH WATER BOTTLES OPEN ARMS SPEED BOAT APPROACHING MIGRANT VESSEL TO HAND OUT BOTTLES OF WATER MIGRANTS WEARING LIFE JACKETS GIVEN BY PROACTIVA OPEN ARMS NGO, MIGRANTS GRABBING BAG WITH BOTTLES OF WATER MIGRANTS DRINKING WATER MEMBERS OF OPEN ARMS HANDING BOTTLES OF WATER TO MIGRANTS MEMBER OF OPEN ARMS NGO ON BOARD OF SPEED BOAT NEAR MIGRANT BOAT COMMUNICATING WITH "ASTRAL" CREW IN SPANISH: "Everybody is safe, we are on route to the "Astral" but they will slowly head to the island (Lampedusa)." ITALIAN GUARDIA DI FINANZA (FINANCE POLICE) APPROACHING MIGRANTS BOAT VARIOUS OF GUARDIA DI FINANZA SECURING MIGRANTS BOAT TO HELP THEM GET ON BOARD OF THEIR VESSEL VARIOUS OF MEMBERS OF OPEN ARMS RETRIEVING LIFE JACKETS AFTER THE MIGRANTS ARE ON BOARD OF THE GUARDIA DI FINANZA'S VESSEL
- Embargoed: 11th September 2021 19:15
- Keywords: Astral Guardia di Finanza Lampedusa Open Arms migrants sea rescue
- Location: AT SEA
- City: AT SEA
- Country: At Sea
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES720XZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Spanish NGO Proactiva Open Arms brought water and life jackets to dozens of migrants travelling on a wooden boat near the island of Lampedusa on Saturday (August 28).
Rescue boat "Astral" helped over 100 migrants travelling from Tunisia to Italy's Lampedusa, the charity said.
One rescue mission saw the crew of the 30 metre-long boat rush into their speed boat to provide migrants, navigating in overpacked wooden boats, with water and life jackets.
Unlike its bigger brother, the famous "Open Arms" tug ship, the "Astral" is not big enough to take migrants on board, so it had to accompany the migrant boat until a ship from the Italian Guardia di Finanza arrived in the area to assist them.
The Guardia di Finanza also said it had rescued more than 100 migrants travelling in five boats and took them to the Italian island of Lampedusa.
According to Italian interior ministry data, the number of migrants arriving in the country so far this year has more than doubled since last year.
(Production: Juan Medina, Silvio Castellanos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None