- Title: Knights in armour cross swords at Serbian medieval festival
- Date: 28th August 2021
- Summary: DESPOTOVAC,SERBIA (AUGUST 28, 2021) (REUTERS) MEDIEVAL KNIGHTS HAVING A SWORD FIGHT VISITORS WATCHING PEOPLE DUELLING WITH SWORDS VISITORS APPLAUDING MAN IN MEDIEVAL ATTIRE DRINKING, WATCHING PEOPLE DUELLING WITH SWORDS, HUGGING EACH OTHER AFTER THE SWORD FIGHT ENDS PEOPLE IN MEDIEVAL DRESS, MONASTERY SEEN IN BACKGROUND MAN SHOWING A CHILD HOW TO USE A SHIELD VISITORS WATCHING SWORD FIGHTS WOMEN WEARING MEDIEVAL ROBES PLAYING MUSIC WITH MEDIEVAL INSTRUMENTS WOMAN LIFTING CHILD ON TO HER LAP FAMILY WEARING MEDIEVAL STYLE CLOTHES MAN DRESSED AS A KNIGHT POSES FOR A PHOTOGRAPH WITH CHILDREN MARKET STALL SELLING MEDIEVAL GOODS INCLUDING ARROWS VISITORS TALKING WITH VENDOR BAGS ON DISPLAY (SOUNDBITE) (English) VISITOR FROM ROMANIA, VLAD TORCEANU, SAYING: "It's a little bit more than a hobby, because I also brought my family in(to) this hobby even (though) in real life we have other jobs, other trades. When we are in the medieval festival or when we are preparing for it, we go for the traditional and medieval jobs, like I am a blacksmith and also a fighter, full contact fighter in armour. And a blacksmith, here you can see my forge â€“ I can make knives, spears, arrowheads, anything my troop needs." PARTS OF ARMOUR, SHIELD MAN IN MEDIEVAL GARMENT, CRACKING A WHIP VARIOUS OF POTTERY FOR SALE MEN HANGING SLOVAK AND HUNGARIAN FLAGS ON TENT MAN PUTTING SUIT OF ARMOUR ON (SOUNDBITE) (Hungarian) VISITOR FROM HUNGARY, MIKLOS HINOP, SAYING: "We came from Budapest because our old friend Tobri with whom we usually go together for the 'Battle of the Nations', has invited us to this wonderful festival at this gorgeous place. Unfortunately, part of the team could not come because they did not manage to get their COVID vaccination but here we have teamed up with our Slovak and Ukrainian friends and we form teams, so we have the three teams. We will face the Romanian and the Ukrainian teams." VISITOR MARTIN HOFMAN TYING UP NECKLACE AROUND VISITOR YVONNE ARTNER (SOUNDBITE) (English) VISITOR FROM AUSTRIA, YVONNE ARTNER, SAYING: "Oh, no, I donâ€™t think life was better (back) then. Maybe when you were rich, but there are only very few people who are rich, so... I'm happy that I am a woman and living at this time, because I do have rights now, so... (laughing).â€ ARTNER AND HOFMAN CHECKING GOODS ON A MARKET STALL (SOUNDBITE) (English) VISITOR FROM BELGIUM, MARTIN HOFMAN, SAYING: â€œFor me, itâ€™s a good way of trying to really think back and feel back to how things were back then and try to live it in the way it was. But I do agree also that itâ€™s probably much easier to live in these times than (in) as it was back in the days because it was much, much harder, I'm quite sure, yes." WOMEN AND MAN RIDING HORSES ARCHERS ON HORSES COMPETING VARIOUS OF VENDOR ANDREI FROM UKRAINE, SHOWING CRYSTALS TO VISITORS (SOUNDBITE) (English) PARTICIPANT AND VENDOR, ANDREI, FROM ROMANIA, SAYING: "Sometimes I say that we live in the best period ever from the history of mankind, but every now and again I discover things that work better if you do, if you follow the medieval recipe, lets say for example â€“ the ink. I find the medieval ink of better quality than the modern industrial ink." VARIOUS ANDREI WRITING WITH QUILL AND "MEDIEVAL" INK VISITOR TAKING PICTURE OF DISGUISED MAN VISITORS WEARING ARMOURS, RESTING
- Embargoed: 11th September 2021 19:26
- Keywords: Medieval festival Serbia craftmanship medieval festival in Serbia weapons
- Location: DESPOTOVAC, SERBIA
- City: DESPOTOVAC, SERBIA
- Country: Serbia
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES71IRD
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Around a thousand fans of medieval history set up camp in a forest beneath the 15th century Manasija monastery in Despotovac, Serbia on Friday (August 27).
Taking part in the 2021 "Just Out" festival which runs until Monday (August 30), visitors and performers from 11 countries came to showcase their medieval skills or simply enjoy the arts, crafts, and food from a different era.
This year the festival barely managed less than a half of its usual attendance, due to COVID-related restrictions.
â€œPart of the team could not come because they did not manage to get their COVID vaccinationâ€, said Mikols Hinop from Hungary, adding he had to â€œteam-upâ€ with friends from Slovakia and Ukraine to compete.
Sword duels are the high point of the festival. On Saturday (August 28), participants fought one-on-one battles, delivering hard blows to their rivals who are dressed in medieval armour.
The rules are brutal, as all hits delivered to protected areas are allowed. Some of the fighters required medical assistance after suffering injuries.
However, fighting is not the only attraction, many people just attend the festival to get a taste of how live was hundreds of years ago.
(Production Fedja Grulovic, Hedy Beloucif)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None