- Title: U.S. urges Mexico to clear migrant camps near border
- Date: 28th August 2021
- Summary: REYNOSA, MEXICO (AUGUST 27, 2021) (REUTERS) WOMAN AND CHILD RESTING ON BENCH ASYLUM-SEEKING FAMILIES AT MIGRANT CAMP PEOPLE INSIDE TENT SEEN THROUGH SCREEN TWO WOMEN WITH TWO BOYS WOMAN BRAIDING YOUNG GIRL'S HAIR BOY RUMMAGING THROUGH PILE OF TENT FABRICS BOYS PLAYING WITH TOY CAR PEOPLE IN LINE FOR FOOD TWO WOMEN LADLING OUT FOOD PLATE OF FOOD
- Embargoed: 11th September 2021 09:49
- Keywords: Mexico Reynosa immigration migrant camp tent city
- Location: REYNOSA, MEXICO
- City: REYNOSA, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,South America / Central America,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES71GEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The United States has urged Mexico to clear ad-hoc camps housing thousands of migrants in border cities due to concerns they pose a security risk and attract criminal gangs, officials familiar with the matter said.
Facing domestic criticism over a jump in illegal crossings at the U.S.-Mexico border, the administration of U.S. President Joe Biden has pressed Mexico to curb the flow of migrants to help ease pressure on the nearly 2,000 mile (3,200 km) frontier.
Two of the biggest camps to have sprung up in northern Mexico are in the city of Reynosa across the border from McAllen, Texas, and in Tijuana, opposite San Diego, California.
Government officials and migrant advocates say the Reynosa camp is home to at least 2,500 people, is unsanitary and has drawn drug gang members looking to recruit desperate migrants. The Tijuana camp is of a similar size, rights groups say.
For weeks, the U.S. government has been asking Mexico to clear the camps, in part because the sheer volume of people in them could jeopardize security if they made a sudden rush for the border, two officials familiar with the matter said.
(Production: Mana Rabiee)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None